Best commentary

tiger_rick

Couldn't really pick out a single performance but surprised no mention of Gordon Solie yet. a unique style of announcing and gave us the "Crimson Mask", "pier 6 brawl" and always calling a suplex as a "Su-Play"

As a single announcement though Micheal Cole deserves credit for this

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Sheffbag said:

Where would you put Cole on the list of all time announcers? 

He’d be on the list, that’s as far as I’m going. He’s ruined years of WWE TV with his sounding bored and repetitive sound bites. The good doesn’t wash away the bad.

• Paid Members

I think he's almost #1 in his own genre. As a wrestling "play-by-play" guy, he doesn't touch a Ross, Solie, Lance, Watts, Schiavone, etc. But Cole isn't what they were. The closest thing to him IMO is Vince McMahon. He's unashamedly the voice of the company shilling their wares without any pretence that he's there to be a sportscaster. I've never loved Cole and still don't but he's good at what they want him for. Does seem like a genuinely hard-working and knowledgable guy too.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

He’d be on the list, that’s as far as I’m going. He’s ruined years of WWE TV with his sounding bored and repetitive sound bites. The good doesn’t wash away the bad.

He should be struck off for that ridiculous heel run. A heel play by play man? What a ridiculous notion. 

He's better than Wilson Phillips on Smackdown, though. 

• Paid Members

The thing with Cole is that he's brilliant when he's given the chance. His work for the first UK tournament was sublime, and he clearly loved doing it (him and Nigel McGuinness shared a tremendous, heart warming hug right after the final bell).

He was also very good during those live shows that WWE put out in the early days of the Network, like Beast In The East. I think the quantifier in Cole being an excruciating pain 99% of the time is Vince and co in his headset.

• Paid Members

Cole is less annoying when he's not under the tumb but I just find him unauthentic full stop compared to the real greats. I used to think he was OK on Smackers back in the day with Tazz but when I watch stuff back now, I realise I was utterly wrong. He was cobblers - they both were - and most of the reason is because they are so faux.

• Paid Members

Oh, he's no where near the greats. He's an honorable mention for managing to stay afloat (and sane) for so long in that fucking stress house, though. 

My vote always goes to the short-lived Heyman/Ross team. Great dynamic between the pair, and they even made the turgid Backlash 2001 main event bearable.

Does anybody else think Cole is actually one of the prime examples of bad casting in WWE history? To me, he's not a commentator, he's a pundit. It struck me like a bolt of lightening about four years back when they did the pre-Mania talk show with Cole as the anchor, Flair and Lawler and others around the table, and when it came to talking kayfabe angles and selling how important things were for the individuals, coming in and out of things and talking with credibility in his own voice, Cole wasn't just good, he was superb. As in, as good as Gene Okerlund was in his role. He was always going to have a hard time following Ross, especially given when Vince wants from his lead, but if this was a different time and there was a greater focus on actually getting angles over, rather than just going through a live show every week, I think people could be talking about Cole as a legend in his own role and style.

Yeah Cole would really fit the third man in the commentary team. He hasn't got the gravitas for play by play for me (with some notable exceptions) but he can snark with the best of them, and off camera he comes across as quite a funny bloke. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Cole is less annoying when he's not under the tumb but I just find him unauthentic full stop compared to the real greats. I used to think he was OK on Smackers back in the day with Tazz but when I watch stuff back now, I realise I was utterly wrong. He was cobblers - they both were - and most of the reason is because they are so faux.

WWE Tazz was far superior to TNA Taz. Especially when he was unmasked as a member of Aces & Eights. And when he and Josh Matthews just used to sit in Dixie Carter's airing cupboard and record lines to be dubbed over in post. 

Cole was fab when he was busting Matthews's balls while doing colour on Velocity. You could tell he was having fun just ripping the piss out of him. 

Tenay & West were alright. Heel West was funny. 

Archived