ONE: A New Era - Mar 31 🇯🇵

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed it. 

Shinya Aoki cut through Folayang like butter in the main. He looked like the Aoki I remember the forums raving about around 10 years ago. Got the quick submission, won the title, shouty promo and sent the Japanese fans home happy. 

Thought Xiong Jing Nan vs Angela Lee was excellent. One of my favourite fights so far this year. Thought Lee was looking really good early on, Xiong was always in it and landing her stuff but Lee was a step ahead for me. The championship rounds is where it really picked up though. How Xiong survived that submission onslaught in the 4th, I don’t know. 

1mmade.jpg

Christ. 

Then not only survives, she comes back in the 5th and batters Lee with a fucking barrage of strikes to the body that just took Lee’s soul. Xiong just wasn’t going to be denied here. Absolutely refused to lose. You could tell in the pre-fight video when she was talking about her family and stuff that she was going to be a hard nut to crack mentally. Never saw a full fight of Xiong before this but I’m a fan now on the strength of this fight alone. Same with Lee actually. She’ll be back. She’s only 22 and was going up in weight for this and looked good up until the last round. Great fight. 

Nsang vs Hasegawa 2 wasn’t quite the slobberknocker their first fight was but it was still exciting. That finish from Nsang was vicious. Just sat Hasegawa down quick. 

Belingon vs Fernandes 3 was the only letdown on the main card for me. And it wasn’t because it was a bad fight. It was actually looking like it was shaping up to be a potential show stealer but the ending was shit. You never want to see a fight end on a DQ, especially a trilogy decider. They’ll have to go again now. 

Mighty Mouse vs Wakamatsu was a fun fight. Wakamatsu was more competitive than I expected and actually looked like he had DJ reeling slightly at points, a little bit anyway. But DJ was just too good. That guillotine was nasty. 

Alvarez vs Nastyukhin was the shocker of the show. Alvarez getting done in a round was not the outcome anyone expected. He must’ve been a massive favourite coming in as well. I wish I’d put a few quid on Nastyukhin now. Not sure if it was a case of Alvarez being a bit shopworn or everyone just overlooking Nastyukhin or what. A disaster of a debut for Alvarez either way. 

Only caught the end of Yodsanklai vs Souwer but it looked like a hell of a scrap. I’ll have to track it down. 

So yeah. Quality that was. Nothing bad on it. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just remembered, how irritating is Mitch Chilson, ONE’s colour commentator/post-fight interviewer? It’s not so much his commentating I had an issue with, although I wasn’t particularly a fan of that either. It’s his screaming in the post-fight interviews that can fuck right off. It got to the point I had to mute him every time. He makes Bruce Buffer’s bellowing sound tolerable. ”YOUUUUU’RE WWWIIINNNEEERRR...AUUUUNG...LLLAAA...NNNN...SAAAAAAAAANG!” While cheesily grinning in the guy’s face. And he did it for every single post-fight interview. 

Do fuck off, Mitch. 

18 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Alvarez vs Nastyukhin was the shocker of the show. Alvarez getting done in a round was not the outcome anyone expected. He must’ve been a massive favourite coming in as well. I wish I’d put a few quid on Nastyukhin now. Not sure if it was a case of Alvarez being a bit shopworn or everyone just overlooking Nastyukhin or what. A disaster of a debut for Alvarez either way.

I've not checked, but I'm sure we'll be hearing how Alvarez "was never the same" after McG put him away.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

I've not checked, but I'm sure we'll be hearing how Alvarez "was never the same" after McG put him away.

Not on here.

Looking at his most recent matches, I'd say it was McG, Gaethje, and Poirier all contributed to that. Not a gentle run.

• Paid Members

Yeah anyone acting like McGregor left Alvarez a shell of himself is talking absolute bollocks. They obviously either missed or ignored Alvarez going to war with Justin Gaethje, taking his ‘O’ and stopping him a whole year after the McGregor loss. 

21 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah anyone acting like McGregor left Alvarez a shell of himself is talking absolute bollocks.

I've seen a few on Twitter saying it, but they look like the same types who claimed that Aldo was a spent force after getting knocked out by McG as well.

Alvarez to me is no more or less than he's been most of his career. He's an exciting fighter whose quality of performance seems to fluctuate wildly. It's why I don't put a lot of stock in McGregor's run at 155. Fair play McGregor walloped Alvarez but I don't think I was alone in being shocked at Eddie shellacking RDA. 

He's never been the juggernaut that Connor fans would like to believe got ruined by their boy, but he's one of those guys where the only result I'd be surprised at in his next outing would be if it was boring. 

• Paid Members

IDK, Alvarez isn't a Khabib or Ferguson level talent, but he was on a good run before McGregor schooled him - he was champion, after all. It's sad how it all went for McGregor after that because on that night he legit looked like one of the best in the world.

Anyway, maybe Alvarez is on the slide, but it seems fairly common, in my mind, established fighters moving to another company and finding it a little hard to adjust. For Eddie's sake, you just hope his mentality was off rather than his ability sliding.

• Paid Members

Alvarez has always been vunerable, he made a name for himself by getting hurt in fights and coming back to win, thats just what he does. Until this fight in One though it was only McGregor who put away Alvarez cleanly and decisively with such little fuss. Alvarez proved afterwards that he had plenty left and thats what made Conor's win so impressive, best performance of his career.

I missed this though but caught up on hightlights, i went on ESPN's website for some UFC news forgetting that they post general sports news and was met with both Johnson and Alvarez spoilers. Sounds like the show is getting great feedback though.

Archived