Sign in to follow this  
wandshogun09

UFC 237: Namajunas vs Andrade - May 11 🇧🇷

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is Machida one of the Brazilians Anderson wouldn't fight? Likewise Wanderlei?

6 hours ago, David said:

I said way back when this fight was announced that it was stupid to throw him in there with someone like Cannonier. There is literally no upside for the guy. If he'd won, would we all look back in years to come at the time he beat Jared fucking Cannonier?

I saw it the other way round. A chance to get Cannonier over. That seems to be the sole purpose of Silva these days. 

5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Is Machida one of the Brazilians Anderson wouldn't fight? Likewise Wanderlei?

Anderson and Machida are good mates. There was smatterings of talk of a ‘superfight’ back when Anderson was bossing 185 and Machida was 205 champ/top contender but I don’t think they’d have ever agreed to fight. 

Now, Anderson vs Wanderlei, that was a different thing entirely. They were friends and training partners back when Anderson was with Chute Boxe early in his career.

40673-C47-D2-D9-457-A-88-C3-4-A0-F0-A211

3-BB37-E6-D-CEAA-4-DCD-AB12-7-E572-A9-CA

But, and my memory is vague on this, I think Anderson had a bad split with the team and was basically blackballed (racist?) from Pride which is when he fucked off and defected to Brazilian Top Team (Chute Boxe’s rivals) where he developed close ties, to the Nogueira brothers especially.

B6-D39536-F16-C-4-DCE-8579-FD354-AF7-C6-

From there Anderson’s career obviously went from strength to strength in Cage Rage, Rumble On The Rock and the UFC. When Pride went down, Wandy signed with the UFC and had a few fights at 205 with mixed results and him and Anderson were still on friendly terms. The problems started in 2009 when Wanderlei dropped to 185. Anderson got all arsey because Wandy was coming to ‘his division’ and all the old grudges came out. 

Anderson criticises Wanderlei’s move to 185;

https://m.sherdog.com/news/articles/Anderson-Criticizes-Wanderleis-Move-to-185-16947/amp

Wanderlei Silva declares war on ‘cocky’ Anderson Silva;

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/amp/2009/04/18/wanderlei-silva-declares-war-on-cocky-anderson-silva?usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D

The UFC jumped on this and seemed to be egging it on themselves. There was even a bit during the Countdown for the first Wanderlei vs Rich Franklin fight teasing a potential Anderson vs Wanderlei fight if Wand beat Franklin. But Wandy lost and Anderson rolled on. 

A lot of this seemed to be stirred up by the media though. From what I remember, they met in person at one of the events that summer and it was all squashed and they were friendly ever since. For a couple of weeks in 2009 though, it looked like it might happen. 

20 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Seeing as Bellator have Melvin Manhoef under contract, and he's still listed as active, he might make a fun opponent for Anderson.

Manheof is fighting on the upcoming Wembley show.