TJ Dillashaw: USADA Victim

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

TJ Dillashaw is no longer the UFC bantamweight champion.

Dillashaw (17-4) announced Wednesday morning that he is "voluntarily relinquishing" the UFC's 135-pound title after he was informed by the New York State Athletic Commission and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of an "adverse finding in a test taken for my last fight." ESPN confirmed the validity of the statement via multiple sources.

The NYSAC later said in a statement that it has suspended Dillashaw for one year and fined him $10,000 "for violations relating to use of a prohibited substance." The suspension is retroactive to Jan. 19, the date of his last fight, which took place at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

"In light of Mr. Dillashaw's social media post this morning, we can confirm that an in-competition test conducted by USADA on January 18, 2019 resulted in an adverse analytical finding," The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said in a statement. "In this instance, we are able to confirm the finding due to Mr. Dillashaw's public statement. The presumption of innocence under the rules is a vital part of an effective anti-doping program and it's only fair that Mr. Dillashaw be allowed due process before any conclusions are drawn."

Dillashaw, 33, dropped down to flyweight in January to challenge Henry Cejudo for that belt. Dillashaw lost the fight via TKO in just 32 seconds.

Wednesday's news was disappointing for Cejudo's camp, which had hoped for him to move up in weight and challenge Dillashaw for his bantamweight title.

"This sucks. Henry wanted that rivalry/money fight and the 135-pound belt and to shut the critics up once and for all. It made sense. I hope it was a mistake or contamination for [Dillashaw's] sake because that's a hell of a drop from glory, from chasing the pound-for-pound status with two belts to losing it all," Eric Albarracin, Cejudo's head coach, told ESPN. "He has a family to support, and I wish that on no one. Can only wait to see what USADA's final determination is."

Cejudo hasn't lost a fight since a December 2016 bout against Joseph Benavidez.

"This throws a wrench in our plans," Albarracin said of Dillashaw's announcement. "It's early and I haven't spoke with Henry yet. However, if I know Henry, he still wants that belt because he is chasing a legacy, or [maybe] Joe Benavidez might get served up a cold plate of Aztec Warrior revenge. Whoever it is, be prepared for an even better version of Henry than his last outing."

Cejudo told ESPN he feels bad for Dillashaw.

"Obviously, you have your exceptions out there. Some people have been wrongly accused in the past," Cejudo said. "But people like Lance Armstrong or Marion Jones, and I've looked up to her in the past, they have to live with the regret and the dishonesty for the rest of their lives. I honestly feel bad for them.

"I want to reserve judgment, but I also want to say I never wish to fight anyone who uses PEDs again. There's no place for that in MMA. This isn't baseball or basketball. This is another human being with 4-ounce gloves hitting another human being."

Dillashaw originally won the bantamweight title at UFC 173 in May 2014 when he pulled off one of the biggest upsets in UFC history by defeating then-champion Renan Barao. Dillashaw lost the belt in January 2016, but he regained the title in November 2017 when he knocked out Cody Garbrandt at UFC 217. He successfully defended the belt in August when he defeated Garbrandt again, before setting his sights on flyweight.

Source: ESPN

A shame this wrecks the Cejudo fight, but TJ is such a little dickhead that it's sort of hilarious too. Be interesting to see what the full story is.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fuck Dillashaw. Like someone else said, now this clears the path for Cejudo vs Moraes. I’m much more into that than running back the TJ thing. 

Edit - Actually, what am I saying? Cejudo is 125 champ isn’t he. Fuck knows at 135 then. Maybe they’ll just do Cejudo vs Moraes anyway for the vacant belt. 

• Paid Members

Since there's a thread just for it, I'll copy my post in from the general news thread:

Well, that kind of came out of left field. Fair play to Dillashaw for coming out at this point and announcing what was going on. With the new rules about announcing a potential failure being changed, it would have been kept under wraps until the investigation was carried out and we would have been all none the wiser why he was sitting out. 

Relinquishing the title surprised me, but is good for the division moving forward. After the re-match with Cody, the drop to flyweight and now this USADA issue, we would have had another interim title situation on our hands and goodness knows when that would have been cleared up down the line. 

This way, Marlon Moraes and whoever he fights next, the winner (Marlon) will at least be declared the actual champion. 

The reaction you see to this kind of thing only really serves to highlight the fact that most fans (and even some fighters) haven't got a clue what any of it actually means. Obviously you don't expect the average Joe in the street to know the ins & outs of what happens inside their bodies (their own diets and habits attest to that), but the reaction from some fighters is hilarious. 

Of course, there's always the chance that they're simply laying it on with their social media posts as part of their "persona" but those guys (and girls) should all be aware that in this day & age, with the level of testing getting to the point where it can register to one trillionth of a gram, that all it takes is for a fighter to literally walk past an off-the-shelf supplement in Wallmart for them to register a failed test (I kid, of course, but you get the point.)

The image fans have is of the fighter in question sneaking to a darkened corner of the changing room in the gym, glancing from side to side to check no one is watching, before injecting themselves with a super-serum Ivan Drago-style that allows them to obliterate the competition.

In reality what's actually happened is that one of the supplements (perfectly legal supplements, and all fighters take supplements no matter what they may say) has somehow been tainted to the point where one trillionth of a gram, or even one millionth of a gram contains a banned substance. We've seen evidence that this can happen in the labs where these supplements are put together, because the truth is that most supplement companies will be making supplements meant for the average Joe who fancies hitting the local gym as well as the high-end stuff for professional athletes. That's where the real money is in the supplement market, the casual market. 

All it takes is for a level of cross-contamination the likes of which it's virtually impossible to defend against 100 percent of the time to occur, and the fighter pops.

Now, if Dillashaw is shown to have something in his system that doesn't come from a tainted supplement, and it turns out he has been skulking around Alpha Fail showing every fighter there his stash of Gold's Gym-esque drugs then fair enough, he deserves what he gets.

If I had to put money on it though? I'll probably bet on the former. 

• Paid Members

lots of old clips and pics going viral, including one from Cody Garbrandt at an old UFC press conference claiming Dillashaw was on steroids and was the one showing everyone at Team Alpha Male how to avoid detection.

Also, this pic of Dillashaw during a weight cut and his insane amount of supplements...

DxLC_nbWoAA7L9T.jpg

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

lots of old clips and pics going viral, including one from Cody Garbrandt at an old UFC press conference claiming Dillashaw was on steroids and was the one showing everyone at Team Alpha Male how to avoid detection.

Also, this pic of Dillashaw during a weight cut and his insane amount of supplements...

Come on Ebb, think about it. If USADA can now pinpoint even minor illegal substances to one trillionth of a gram, which in itself is fucking insane, do you think there's actually a way to use steroids today and not be caught? Seriously?

The days of being able to cycle on and off certain steroids and not get caught are well and truly over. It simply doesn't happen in this day and age due to the insane technology available for testing. If Dillashaw was stupid enough to use steroids he'd have been popped in his first test after starting any kind of cycle, guaranteed.

And this image that Cody is trying to paint of TJ sitting with his stash of steroids, while the rest of team Alpha Male all gather around him wide-eyed and innocent as he shows them how to avoid modern-day testing is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Im not pointing any fingers, im just posting what i'm seeing online.

It's worth remembering that the majority of what you'll see online, especially when it comes to stuff posted by so-called MMA hardcores, is absolute nonsense. Even the stuff coming from Alpha Male, I can guarantee you that behind closed doors they'll be framing both of Cody's losses to TJ as being due to him "cheating." It's a certainty, we know how they operate.

• Paid Members

I haven’t been digging into the story to any great degree but the first two fighters I saw saying they knew he was a dirty cheat all along were Cody Garbrandt and Raphael Assuncao - two fighters with losses to TJ who obviously have an axe to grind and a vested interest in him being branded a cheat. 

Also, if we take Cody’s version as true and TJ was on the Alpha Male mats openly giving tips on how to juice and get away with it, why did all the Alpha Male twats cry so much when TJ left the team? They never stopped banging on about how he left the team in the lurch and all that. But if they’re so squeaky clean and ethical why did they want a big filthy cheater representing their gym? That whole TJ/Ludwig vs Alpha Male thing has always seemed really silly to me. 

If there is anything to this failure and he has taken something, I’m guessing it’ll have been something to help him cut the weight to make 125. That would explain why he’s popped for this fight and never in the past anyway. 

21 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Also, if we take Cody’s version as true and TJ was on the Alpha Male mats openly giving tips on how to juice and get away with it, why did all the Alpha Male twats cry so much when TJ left the team? They never stopped banging on about how he left the team in the lurch and all that. But if they’re so squeaky clean and ethical why did they want a big filthy cheater representing their gym? That whole TJ/Ludwig vs Alpha Male thing has always seemed really silly to me.

Cody isn't the brightest bulb in the box. It's possible that he blurted that out without thinking of the consequences it would have for his camp. Faber was much more careful with his account of the situation. Perhaps to protect the image of himself and the gym.

Of course, it's also possible that TJ's and his trainer made an honest mistake on this occasion. I read a quote yesterday where TJ said that he just takes what his trainer advises. We'll see how this one plays out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived