The UKFF's Favourite Cricketer.

PowerButchi

• Moderators

It's not a voting top 50, don't worry. Just wondering who the UKFF loves cricket wise. For years I've always loved Graeme Hick (ANd would still put him in our T20 side), but I'm not sure he's my favourite.

Alec Stewart - Started late, but always a real pro, like an extra from the great escape. Proper sportsman,

Gus Fraser - Awkward as fuck, took wickets.

NOT DOMINIC CORK OR DARREN GOUGH - Terrible tory arseholes. But could swing it.

Graham Gooch - Proof that age ain't no thing.

I'm umming and arrring between two.

R.C. Russell - An actual wicketkeeper in times when they weren't popular (Anytime after the mid 80's tbf), but a dogged batsman, a fantastic character, better artist, and named after the best dog.Looks like Ted Glenn, which is only a bonus.

M.A. Atherton - To have injections pretty much your whole career, which you've spent from 21 as England Captain is hard enough, and that duel with Donald, his hatred of Mike Gatting and Ray Illingsworth, and fantastic journalistic and writing career including a great book on gambling patterns (As the racing post was the only paper in the 90s which didn't have a pop at him so it was the only one he'd read) gives him a good shout at this.a

So, the winner is...

Geoff Boycott.

• Paid Members

My good friend Reg, who sadly passed away last week would answer this question quite easily. For him there was only one answer, the man who he referred to as Lord Graeme Hick. You say you would still have him in your T20 side Butch, Reg would have him as captain in all forms of cricket and possibly make him Prime Minister. 

Reg would also consider executing Mile Atherton for treason for declaring when Lord Graeme was on 98 against the Australians. 

My own personal favourite is David Gower. Stylish, elegant, and carefree as a batsman, and clearly he considered any form of taking the game seriously as laughable. A man who clearly enjoyed the game. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Don't follow Cricket, but freaking "Big" Merv Hughes..

mervehughes_narrowweb__300x3610.jpg

Merv the Swerve insured that moustache for six figures back in the day!

I barely ever watched cricket but I grew up in the 80s where the answer was Botham just as Big Daddy was to wrestling.

During the couple of years when I did sit down and watch it, around 92-93, Wasim Akram was swerving the ball all over the place, which led to me trying to emulate him with a tennis ball. I mean throwing left-handed too. Terrible. Well, how was I to know he was cheating?

Thinking back to those days, the one to admire should've been Imran Khan for ending up with Jemima Goldsmith.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

During the couple of years when I did sit down and watch it, around 92-93, Wasim Akram was swerving the ball all over the place, which led to me trying to emulate him with a tennis ball. I mean throwing left-handed too. Terrible. Well, how was I to know he was cheating?

How dare you speak about Lancashire's finest like that! Waz was no Aussie. 

• Paid Members

Merv Hughes, and Inizi.

Cracking Merv the Swerve story — during the '93 Ashes, right after "The Ball", my dad was showing me some leg spin technique in the living room, announcing "here's some Shane Warne." Later that night, after a session, he decided I needed a balancing lesson in fast bowling, so he demonstrated the Merv Hughes, which involved him smashing his fist right through the light fixture, completely obliterating it. Merv would have been proud.

Archived