The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Per MMA journalist John Morgan 

“Just spoke with UFC president Dana White after he talked with Khamzat Chimaev. According to White, Chimaev is not retiring and is still on track to return in June. Full story on MMA Junkie shortly.”

Is this going to play out like a sort of Khabib V2?

and this 😦...

IMG_20210302_154641.thumb.jpg.0c74ef31cd2b4626b6f2144233211d22.jpg

• Paid Members

I hope he can make a full recovery and if healthy enough get back into it, but I'm not surprised he caught it to begin with. Before it wss initially announced he got Covid his social media was full of videos/pictures of him out and about in various places meeting randoms, posing for pictures and the like without a mask ever being spotted. There was so much of it. Unbelievably stupid. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

UK MMA/UFC ref Neil Hall died yesterday 😣 shitty news. I recall Hall making a real funny diving save/stoppage at some point in the UFC but i cant for the life of me remember what fight it was in.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Egg Shen said:
UK MMA/UFC ref Neil Hall died yesterday 😣 shitty news. I recall Hall making a real funny diving save/stoppage at some point in the UFC but i cant for the life of me remember what fight it was in.

Was it this?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

72744BBE-7278-40EF-8E8B-F6531CDF03BB.gif

Just seen that and then came right here to post it if someone hadn't already. What a great fight that is. Dariush has earned this step up to a high profile fight, and it'll tell us how relevant Tony still is, if he can avoid going 0-3 and halts a surging, underrated, Dariush. 

Pre Gaethje, I think all of us would have bet the house on Ferguson easily handling Dariush. Now though, Im not so sure. Its definitely a great fight to see where Tony stands in terms of championship contender.

Two years ago, Ferguson had just destroyed Cerrone, was on a 12 fight winning streak, and was considered THE guy most likely to beat Khabib. Fast foward to now, the Khabib fight never even happened, and people are not truely confident he can beat Dariush. Crazy how quickly things can change. Perhaps unfairly, but I get Anthony Pettis/Weidman/Condit vibes with Tony now, where the aura has been shattered.

• Paid Members

I think even during Ferguson’s streak, Dariush is one of the few who might’ve given him issues due to his grappling. I think he’d have been able to hang with Ferguson on the ground and maybe even get the better of it. Would’ve been fun whenever it happened but yeah, nobody would’ve picked him to win back then.

The perception has definitely shifted where Ferguson is concerned. To the point where it’s probably going too far in the other direction for me now and you’ll see people talking like he can’t beat anyone in the division anymore and was never any good. Load of wank. He always had his flaws but you don’t go on a run like he did, for as long as he did, and beat the guys he did, by accident or fluke. I think what we’re seeing now is just a result of all those wars and hard fights catching up to him. I don’t think he’s completely shot by any means. We’ve got to remember it was Gaethje and Oliveira who beat him, and both were on top form. But like you say, that aura has definitely taken a battering.