The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

I didn't realise he'd been cut, so I went and checked out hi Wiki page. His record says five of his first six fights were catchweight! That can't be a common thing, surely?

• Paid Members

Well up for this;

I don’t expect Andrade to win or anything but none of the current crop are beating Val anyway. At least this’ll be exciting while it lasts.

This was the card that was being talked about for Zhang vs Namajunas as well if I’m not mistaken. Don’t know if plans have changed or they’ll do both on the same night. Would line up nicely if they’re planning Shevchenko vs Zhang sometime soon. Providing they both win of course. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, there's no way that it won't be exciting. It could be over a lot quicker than the first one, but it'll be edge of the seat stuff no matter how long it lasts. Both guys don't know any other way than to go balls to the wall. 

Per MMA journalist John Morgan 

“Just spoke with UFC president Dana White after he talked with Khamzat Chimaev. According to White, Chimaev is not retiring and is still on track to return in June. Full story on MMA Junkie shortly.”

Is this going to play out like a sort of Khabib V2?

Story seems to be that Khamzat has been flown to Vegas for treatment for long covid. He was feeling a bit better so decided to have a full on training session and he couldn’t do it, started spitting up blood etc. He got emotional and posted that.

If Dana is to be believed, he’s spoken to him since and he’s calmer and willing to accept it might take a bit longer.