The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Moderators
3 hours ago, David said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, and have to ask: based on what?Ā 

The legend of his punching power has had time to regrow. Did you know that Francis will never shake your hand? Its not because he's rude, but that he is so strong that he can't help but crush your hand if he was to shake it.

21 hours ago, Dai said:

Yeah I think youre right that thats the angle they are going down, but there didnt seem to be any evidence of that during the DC trilogy did it?

He didn't look great in their second meeting. He even admitted that he justĀ happened to go to the body in the 4th round. It wasn't part of his gameplan.Ā 

Thankfully, he looked much better in their third meeting. He's probably lost a few steps, but he's still a good few steps ahead of the rest of the division in my opinion.Ā 

5 hours ago, David said:

The first round was pretty dicey for Miocic, as it is for most of his opponents, but if I recall correctly the first frame ended with Miocic wobbling Ngannou after weathering the storm.

Aye, I thought thatĀ on the night.

But when I re-watched it, I realised that Ngannou didn't really land all that much and it was a clear Miocic round.

Ā 

47 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

But when I re-watched it, I realised that Ngannou didn't really land all that much and it was a clear Miocic round.

It's not so much that Ngannou landed, because if he'd landed he'd have won the fight most likely. It's that he was looking like a threat.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Nate isnā€™t going for that. Edwards makes a decent point here though;

2-C68-CCD4-C281-4-A58-8-F70-D377-F1596-A

Heā€™s referring to Nateā€™s interview with Helwani earlier this week where Nate rambled on chatting a load of shite but did say heā€™s probably never going back down to 155 again and he wants Welterweights coming off wins. Based on Nateā€™s own logic (such as it is), this is the kind of fight heā€™s after. Except we know itā€™s not. Heā€™s saying heā€™s going to be fighting at 170 but the names heā€™s mentioned wanting to fight next are Dustin Poirier and Charles Oliveira, who are in the thick of the Lightweight title picture. If heā€™s not going back to 155, Iā€™d rather he not disrupt that little unofficial tournament.Ā Iā€™d rather see him fight McGregor one last time. Or if heā€™s serious about making a proper run at 170 (heā€™s not, the top boys will school him and he knows it), fight a top Welterweight. Like Edwards.

As for Edwards vs Chimaev. Christ almighty. How many times has it fell apart now? Weā€™veĀ got to be getting close to equalling the number of times Khabib vs Ferguson went tits up already. Except those cancellations were spread out over 5 or 6 years. Edwards vs Chimaev has been scrapped 3 or 4 times in about 3Ā months or something!Ā