The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Maybe Glover will get the shot in the summer if Jan wins? If Adesanya wins, then Jones might not bother with Heavyweight. 

Probably the right time for Adesanya to try it though. It's not that he has beaten every possible contender, but he has beaten enough of them to the point nobody has been able to put together a really strong run at MW to make themselves undeniable. 

By the time he comes back to middleweight it'll hopefully be much clearer who should be next for the shot. 

• Paid Members

I think Glover/Adesanya is more of an inter-division, title-unifier superfight than Glover/Blachowicz. Not to hate on Blachowicz, but whilst he's a perfectly cromulent fighter, he's never inspired the imagination as much as Glover has, especially now with his current winning streak. I'd like to see (potentially) Glover-as-champ on a 6-fight win streak defend the LHW belt against Adesanya, rather than potentially risk seeing him become an LHW nearly-man that he doesn't deserve to be.

• Paid Members

It was a no brainer for Adesanya to take. Its almost feels like the GSP/Bisping situation where the challenger must feel they match up so well with the heavier Champion the reward heavily outweighs the risk. I don't completely discredit Jan's chances and I love that he's scored such a big fight, but stylistically this is a good fight for Adesanya.

As for Glover, its gutting for him and ideally id like to see him fight again and win to solidify the next shot, but if Izzy wins and calls out Jones, Glover's out of the argument. Tough spot to be in. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Absolutely - I don't blame Adesanya at all for taking the fight, nor Blachowicz. But I think the matchmakers are being a bit unfair here, and a bit short-sighted too. Right now, this feels like the UFC trying to feed a paper champion to an undefeated prospect just to make him a two-weight champ. It's unfair to Glover, who's earned a title shot both in terms of wins and excitement factor, and probably doesn't have much time left, and it's unfair to Blachowicz, who must know he's most likely being viewed as a sacrificial lamb, when he really should have the chance to defend the belt against a legit, established 205er who's earned his way through the division. 

Add to that that a Glover/Adesanya match is more likely to be an exciting fight than Jan/Adesanya, and I have to say I'm having trouble understanding the matchmakers' logic. To me, this is a "hot-shotted" matchup, not one that's better for the long-term.

• Paid Members

Jan isnt complaining, this is by far the biggest fight/payday of his career. Even if he feels like a sacrificial lamb, being served up he gets chance to go out and mess up the UFC's plan in a fair one on one fight. Why would he not want this?