The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

On 12/6/2020 at 7:07 AM, wandshogun09 said:

So it wasn’t a USADA thing with Yoel and there’s a ton more cuts coming. Merry Christmas, here’s your P45. 

Remember this big talk at the beginning of the year?

No layoffs at UFC. None of my people will be laid off. Not happening.

All the people that are with me are with me and I always take care of my people. A lot of people are losing their jobs, can’t pay their bills and things like that. When you’re with the UFC, we’re moving forward. You’re going to continue to work, you’re going to continue to make money, you’re going to continue to feed your family whether you work at the offices or you fight for the UFC.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Nunes/Anderson re-booked...

Yeah i saw this on twitter yesterday but i don't think it was totally official so i thought i would wait and see. Getting to see Nunes is always going to be a highlight in my year and i think with her having her new addition in her family & the fact she has completely annihilated 2 whole divisions leaves me to accept the fact we may soon see her take a big step back which upsets me but she is far from the fighter that comes in to pick up a cheque and not care about her work. If there is no challenges left for her i can honestly see 2021 maybe being her last year at least as a full time member of the roster anyways. 

• Paid Members

I can see Nunes going for a while yet. Maybe having the little one has given her even more/renewed motivation. There will be the problem of finding fresh opponents for her though. I don’t think anyone wants to see Holly Holm in another title shot anytime soon. The De Randamie thing is dead in the water as Nunes is already 2-0. Even the Superfight thing with Valentina Shevchenko would be a tough sell because, again, despite the fights being mega competitive, Nunes is 2-0. The Cyborg rematch would’ve been amazing but we can’t have that. There’s potential clashes with Claressa Shields and Kayla Harrison down the line but they’re way off and would both have to be...you know, signed by the UFC first, obviously. I’m struggling to think who they can even feed her. She’s champ in 2 divisions and she’s pretty much demolished both divisions. They weren’t the deepest talent pools to begin with but she’s crushed anyone who’s even thought of taking those belts.

On this subject, Nunes’ other half Nina Ansaroff is back from maternity leave in April. She’s fighting Mackenzie Dern.

• Paid Members

I don't suppose they could match her up with Zingano, D'Alelio, and Davis, to avenge her three as-yet unavenged defeats? (I know Zingano's out of the UFC, maybe they could bring her back in for it.)

• Paid Members

Zingano is under Bellator contract now though. There’s still Ketlen Vieira maybe if she gets a couple of wins together. And Aspen Ladd when she returns from the knee injury. Probably one or two more I’m forgetting. Don’t see any of them troubling Nunes much but it’ll keep her active.