The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

NOOOOOOO!

What’s happened here? Last we heard he was meant to fight Uriah Hall in August. Odd. 

😭 That's dreadful news. Gutted about this. I can't even make a guess at what's happened here or why. It doesn't feel like a UFC type thing to do. I hope Romero isn't done and that he pops up again somewhere soon. 

• Paid Members

It’s so weird. I know he’s old but he’s not exactly shot is he? All I can think, and I hope it’s not the case, is maybe there’s a lengthy USADA suspension to be announced and given his age they’ve decided to just cut ties. I mean, say he got a 2 year suspension, he’d be 45 by the time he’d be eligible to return. As I say, I hope it’s not that because that could effectively mean the end of his career now. But I can’t think why else they’d just outright sever ties with a guy who has a following, can hang with pretty much anyone in the division and still had fights left on his contract. That’s not usually the UFC’s M.O. Even if he’d just decided to retire, it can’t be that or they’d have announced it by now and they wouldn’t have just ripped up the contract. Fuck knows.

If at all possible though, ONE need to open up the chequebook to make this happen...

DEF92-AB7-D9-FD-4-AF1-AE3-F-C3-AF3731-E0

Or maybe RIZIN can cobble it together for New Year’s Eve or something. No drug testing of course. Let them load up on the lot. A to the Z, as the Iron Sheik would say.

wow that really has come out of left field. I agree with the above i think it's deffinatly weird he hasn't exactly been the most boring fighter on the roster. I'm guessing there is more to this and we will find out what happened in the next coming days.

Do we think it may be a financial thing? Even though I haven't heard of any news during the covid era, they must have taken a big hit financially over the last few months. This and even the Anderson release may just be some cost cutting measures. Romero must be on a decent wedge, and probably one of the highest non champion earners 

• Paid Members

I don’t know what would happen there but it’d be a great fight. That was probably the main one I was gutted we’d never see when Mousasi left the UFC. Wouldn’t say no to Yoel vs Khalidov either.

This tickled me...

E145A1BA-50CD-4841-AD82-76664294A0F5.jpeg

• Paid Members

So it wasn’t a USADA thing with Yoel and there’s a ton more cuts coming. Merry Christmas, here’s your P45. 

Maybe @Dai was right after all and it’s a money thing. Now I can see a bunch of decent names going and we just end up with a roster consisting of the champs, a handful of top contenders...and then a SHITLOAD of DWCS guys because they’re cheap. There’s plenty of dead wood on the roster. I’ve been writing indifferently about them in the event preview posts all year and there’s more who haven’t fought this year. If you asked me to name 100 fighters who will probably be cut before 2021 Yoel Romero wouldn’t have even been anywhere near my mind to go on that list. Let’s face it, they’re not getting rid of 60 fighters to trim the roster down, they’re still going to have to fulfil a mad schedule of events next year and they’ll need bodies. They’re not streamlining, they’re making way for a cheaper option. Look forward to more cards full of names you’ve never heard of next year. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Dana has gone down the WWE route of selling the brand and not the fighter, so it's probably got to the point where a Yoel main event on a Fight Night wouldnt do any different ratings wise than an Angela Hill or a Cory Sandhagen main event. The difference would be paying Yoel probably at least 5 times as much (same thing for Anderson) 

13 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I think the only other place he can really go, then, is One FC, no? Might be worth a punt either way.

I haven't kept up with One FC, so I am not sure if they are in any position to sign him or not. 

Rizin has entertained signing Anderson Silva recently, so perhaps they could be an option. Or maybe one of the Bare Knuckle leagues will cough up enough cash to sign him.