The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

GSP had it his own way for the majority of his career though. Outside of the Serra KO (which wasn't a devastating KO) and the beating he took against Hendricks, GSP got through the majority of his fights damage free. Different kind of thing.

Overeem has been knocked out badly like 12 times. The kind of KO's that if it happened to some fighters once they would never be the same again. Its absurd.

The heavyweight division is dire though. 

It has a very shallow talent pool, and the standard of competition hasn't evolved much over the years. So when a decent heavyweight does come along, once in a blue moon, they are able to maintain competitive at the top-end of their division for longer than fighters in more competitive divisions. That is why the likes of Arlovski, Kongo, Sergei, etc continue to be featured on the main cards of the two major US promotions into their 40s. 

That said, Overeem has done a very good job of turning his career around in recent years. I wouldn't begrudge him winning the title at all. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

GSP had it his own way for the majority of his career though. Outside of the Serra KO (which wasn't a devastating KO) and the beating he took against Hendricks, GSP got through the majority of his fights damage free. Different kind of thing.

Overeem has been knocked out badly like 12 times. The kind of KO's that if it happened to some fighters once they would never be the same again. Its absurd.

If anything, I think that rather reinforces my point. The fact that Overeem has taken that much damage and continued to have a career that always sees him threatening the championship scene is testament to his longevity. Most other fighters with a record approaching his are now shot.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying he's the GOAT or anything. Just that he's probably the longest-performing top-tier fighter.

19 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

The heavyweight division is dire though. 

It has a very shallow talent pool, and the standard of competition hasn't evolved much over the years. So when a decent heavyweight does come along, once in a blue moon, they are able to maintain competitive at the top-end of their division for longer than fighters in more competitive divisions. That is why the likes of Arlovski, Kongo, Sergei, etc continue to be featured on the main cards of the two major US promotions into their 40s. 

That said, Overeem has done a very good job of turning his career around in recent years. I wouldn't begrudge him winning the title at all. 

Absolutely true, but Overeem has been at it consistently over several generations. He's fought the best of almost every incarnation of the HW division of nearly every promotion he's been in, and despite the damage he's taken would still be considered a threat to any HW he steps into the Octagon with.

Even those he's lost to, I still wouldn't write him off in any rematches with any of them, and would give him a bit more than a puncher's chance for most.

Overeem today would handily defeat the Overeem who faced Lesnar in his first UFC fight in 2011. There's not many fighters you can say that about. That they would defeat the younger, "prime" version of themselves.

He's a far more well-rounded competitor now.

The Overeem that battered Lesnar in 2011 was scary, I remember watching that fight the next day before going out for new years eve, he was vicous. Was it the same year when he was going to be fighting Dos Santos and he climbed out the window and ran to dodge a piss test?

11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Not so sure about that, i think todays Overeem may have been cleaned out by 2011 Overeem. A lot more aggressive and dangerous on his feet. Interesting one though. He's become a much different fighter over time.

Yeah, I think the Overeem of today would have took the Overeem of then into deep water, and he'd have gassed like fuck as he always did back then.

EDIT: Can't believe the heavyweight division is that shallow we're discussing a guy fighting himself! 

Edited by David

The Lesnar fight was surely the apex of the horse meat era Overeem. Just checked his record building up to that fight; Werdum, where he was petrified (from memory) of trading with Reem. Todd Duffee and James Thompson, two big jacked up guys who he beat both in 30 seconds. Brett Rogers, who was seen at the time as a scary guy to fight, and Reem just destroyed him. And others like Goodbridge and Fujita (not that impressive, but still). Then he topped it off with owning Lesnar. Isnt it the Lesnar fight with that famous Arianny clip from the weigh in where shes gazing at Reem with his top off?

The testing must have kicked in from that point though, as the body went, and so did the wins. He lost 3 out of 4 to Bigfoot, Travis Browne and Rothwell. Thats when he became way smarter and possibly fully adjusted to a natural body.

Edited by Dai

ESPN are now ranking fighters on drawing power in addition to merit. 

Call me old-fashioned, but I preferred it when "star power" wasn't factored into these rankings. I have no issue with Izzy and Khabib's rankings, but other than those two as well as Usman and perhaps Figgy, none of the others would make my top 10 if these ranking were based on skill and recent achievements.

WMMA still has some way to catch up to the men's game, McGregor has done fuck all of note in MMA since 2016, Jones's last two fights saw him go to the wire with a pair of very ordinary fighters in Reyes and Santos, Chimaev is unproven at the highest level, and it took 3 fights for Miocic to get the best of an aging plodder in DC. 

Volkanovski would easily be in my top 5 if it was based on actual fighting. Cejudo would also be up there as well, whereas Whittaker, Gaethje and Yan would make my top 10. 

Edited by jimufctna24

How can it be done on drawing power?? SURELY khamzat has not nearly proven his drawing power yet. 

We will see how much drawing power he has in december when he main events against leon. Personally i think it will do very well in numbers but to have him ranked number 9 ABOVE FIGGY who is the champ is insane