The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

I was just doing some reading about Angela Hill, because I remembered when I first heard of her was on her TUF season, and she was still undefeated at 2-0 at the time. I also remembered thinking it wasn't that long ago, yet she now has a vet's record.

Her fighting schedule has been insane. She's had 21 fights in slightly over six years, never fighting less than twice a year, and three of those years, 2016, 2019 & 2020, she's fought four times! 

I love that she's a scrapper, but I can't help but wonder if her record might have been better if she'd not gone so pedal-to-the-metal like that, especially when you look at how many of her fights have gone to decision.

• Paid Members

@Carbomb Yeah she’s ended up with that Mark Hunt type record. 12-9 now. I’ve become a huge fan though. I think the Jessica Andrade fight was my turning point. Before that she was just another woman/ex TUFer on the card. That was some scrap though. If you haven’t seen it and you’ve got Fight Pass, give it a look. Jumping in to so many fights like she does has done good and bad things for her but I get the impression she just loves competing. She won’t be on big money but fighting regularly like she does means she’s getting 3 or 4 paydays a year. And a couple of decisions have gone against her where I felt she was hard done by. I think I had her beating Waterson and I definitely had her beating Gadelha. If those decisions went her way she’d be on a 5 fight streak now and possibly even gearing up for a title shot against Zhang Weili. We’d be having a different conversation now and everyone would be saying how she’d completely turned her career around. But instead, because of iffy judging, she’s on a 2 fight skid and still on the same rung of the ladder she’s been trying to advance from for the past couple of years.

It’s a shame because, in a division where there’s a lot of lacklustre sparring session type fights, she’s great to watch and she seems really cool and fun outside the cage as well. I don’t for a second see her beating the likes of Zhang or Jedrzejczyk or Namajunas but I’d love to see her get one crack at the belt before it’s all over. She’s 35 now though and I’m not sure she can string another bunch of wins together to get back in the position she should already be in now. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

@Carbomb Yeah she’s ended up with that Mark Hunt type record. 12-9 now. I’ve become a huge fan though. I think the Jessica Andrade fight was my turning point. Before that she was just another woman/ex TUFer on the card. That was some scrap though. If you haven’t seen it and you’ve got Fight Pass, give it a look. Jumping in to so many fights like she does has done good and bad things for her but I get the impression she just loves competing. She won’t be on big money but fighting regularly like she does means she’s getting 3 or 4 paydays a year. And a couple of decisions have gone against her where I felt she was hard done by. I think I had her beating Waterson and I definitely had her beating Gadelha. If those decisions went her way she’d be on a 5 fight streak now and possibly even gearing up for a title shot against Zhang Weili. We’d be having a different conversation now and everyone would be saying how she’d completely turned her career around. But instead, because of iffy judging, she’s on a 2 fight skid and still on the same rung of the ladder she’s been trying to advance from for the past couple of years.

It’s a shame because, in a division where there’s a lot of lacklustre sparring session type fights, she’s great to watch and she seems really cool and fun outside the cage as well. I don’t for a second see her beating the likes of Zhang or Jedrzejczyk or Namajunas but I’d love to see her get one crack at the belt before it’s all over. She’s 35 now though and I’m not sure she can string another bunch of wins together to get back in the position she should already be in now. 

From what I've been given to understand over the years, she's also suffered from the simple fact that she's more an Atomweight than a Strawweight, and there's no 105 division. It's a shame when there are fighters who are clearly optimal at a certain weight but can't get a break because they're either too small for the division they're in and too big to cut down, or because there isn't a division for them.

Can't remember specifically, but wasn't someone on here once saying that it was a shame there was no junior featherweight/super bantamweight division, or Frankie Edgar would've been a nailed-on long-time UFC champ?

• Paid Members

I bum Frankie so that was probably me.

And yeah, a few Strawweights aren’t best suited to the weight IMO. Michelle Waterson being the most obvious example. She’s a Strawweight only in the number that appears on the scale. On fight night she pretty much always looks outsized. Jinh Yu Frey is a more recent example. There probably is some of that with Hill as well but I think less so than the other two I’ve mentioned there. Hill can still do some damage at 115lbs. She’s not exactly a finisher but she can at least hurt her opponents at Strawweight and I never watch her and feel like she’s just getting bullied around due to size. I mean, Claudia Gadelha is one of the more physically strong Strawweights there is and Hill did just fine against her. 

• Paid Members

Alright fuck off.

I know this wasn’t an amazing fight or anything but fuck sake. Nothing against Anderson but I hope it’s her who’s pulled out and we can still see Nunes crack a skull in December. Stick anyone in there. Doesn’t matter really, does it? Nobody expected Anderson to win anyway. Just feed Nunes a body. If it’s Nunes that’s out though, well that’s shite. Luckily they can just bump Yan vs Sterling up to main event if that’s the case.

Seriously though. Can’t they just stay the fuck over there on Fight Island until the world gets back to some sense of normality? We still had some pullouts when they were over there but it didn’t feel like nearly as many. Even previously cursed fights like Ortega vs Zombie and Ankalaev vs Cutelaba 2 ended up happening. As soon as they return to Vegas, main events are dropping out left and right.

Fuck Vegas is what I’m getting at. 

4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Alright fuck off.

I know this wasn’t an amazing fight or anything but fuck sake. Nothing against Anderson but I hope it’s her who’s pulled out and we can still see Nunes crack a skull in December. Stick anyone in there. Doesn’t matter really, does it? Nobody expected Anderson to win anyway. Just feed Nunes a body. If it’s Nunes that’s out though, well that’s shite.  

It appears it’s Amanda Nunes who pulled out. Megan has wished her a speedy recovery on twitter and says the UFC are looking to rebook it early next year. 

• Paid Members

conspiracy alert, but Nunes is set to attend the Claressa Shields fight on Dec. 11th. The debut Zuffa boxing show. Who thinks they've pulled Nunes out ready to set up thay boxing superfight with Shields? 

Suppose being able to advertise Nunes/Anderson on the night of the Shields fight would have been ideal advertising in its own right, but i reckon we may see an in-ring face off on Dec. 11th.

7 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

The PFL are allowing Kayla Harrison to fight in Invicta on November 20th. Harrison moves to 145lb too. Talk of a Nunes fight will stir up but Harrison is tied in to compete in PFL's 2021 season.

I’ve never heard of her until now. Looking at her background and record it’s surprising UFC haven’t come in for her. 

• Paid Members

yeh, her moving into MMA was a pretty big deal, 2 time Olympic Gold Medallist and all that and that was before the UFC had a 145lb division so there was no real spot for her. The PFL snapped her up though and shes fought at 155lb until now. There's just not many women out there for her to fight. The PFL are probably compensating her well though, their top fighters are earning good dollar.

• Paid Members

I think it’s good that she’s tied up with PFL for next year. She’s probably the only interesting potential Featherweight prospect out there at the moment. But she needs more experience and it remains to be seen how she looks at 145. I don’t think it’d do her much good if she’d signed with the UFC now because there’s such a lack of challengers for Nunes that, even if the plan was to move Harrison along slowly, they’d probably end up having to chuck her in there with Nunes before she was ready. Hopefully she’s active next year at 145 and by the time she’s finished her commitments with PFL, maybe that’ll be the time to enter the Octagon. And yeah I’m assuming Nunes will still be champ then. There’s a chance Bellator nabs her then though as they need challengers for Cyborg. 

• Paid Members

I could see PFL and Bellator doing a co-promotion next year at some point with Harrison and Cyborg. One fight in each promotion, then a third down the line if those results call for it. Let's face it, both need any hook they can get at the moment to drum up interest, and clearly both are open to co-promotion (Bellator with Rizin, PFL here with Invicta). 

Hopefully Harrison can make 145, which will be no easy task, then we can see if it'll be a possibility after that.