The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Has he refused matches? If not, that's really fucking unfair before you take Conor McGregor into account. Shouldn't take Ansaroff into account as she's been off for maternity leave.

• Paid Members

They’re just really slow to update their site. Slower than a Kimbo vs Dada 5000 third round. There’s a reason I don’t bother looking on there for card updates when I’m doing the opening posts. Waste of time.

By their usual standards, they’ve actually been pretty snappy updating those rankings. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I just think he's one of those fighters that Dana White doesn't like. 

After he pulled out of the Woodley fight, through no fault of his own, Dana had the gikker with him...seemingly. And, if rumours be true, and according to what Niall and Petesy were saying, he turned down Wonderboy and Chimaev. Yet, on the other hand, he's kind of called out Diaz and Masvidlal. So he is trying, in his own strange way. 

I don't know. Edwards is an odd one. He's on a serious roll in the win column, regardless of how they came, so he's absolutely 100% deserving of a title shot, but at the moment and with how he's - allegedly - perceived by the UFC brass, I think he needs to build his name back up and take that Wonderboy fight - or someone akin to that - because at the moment he truly is becoming a forgotten man in the eyes of many. 

2 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

And, if rumours be true, and according to what Niall and Petesy were saying, he turned down Wonderboy and Chimaev. Yet, on the other hand, he's kind of called out Diaz and Masvidlal. So he is trying, in his own strange way.

I can understand him not wanting any part of Chimaev, for reasons I've spoken about in relation to a Chimaev/Wonderboy fight. 

But why is he not wanting Thompson? That's a good fight against a top guy. A name as well.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Edwards seems to think he has earned his title shot and therefore doesn't need another fight, and with eight wins, he has. However he can't sit and wait for the UFC to come to him when they need a challenger, when other people have been active and staying in the public consciousness.

It's a 'what have you done for me lately' sport, and he hasn't fought since July 2019. That win was against RDA, but the longer you leave it from your last win, the less impressive said wins can become depending on how that fighters career has went since. That's why there's a need to continue to be active, if what you want happens to go up in smoke. Edwards was completely right to refuse to jump back in March when UFC wanted him to get on a plane with all the uncertainty in that time. However since then he has been usurped in the minds of the public and the UFC. It doesn't help him that while he's a great fighter, he's also not exciting in the cage, nor as a personality plus he has a loss to Usman already. 

Edwards needs to make himself undeniable, and the only way he does that is to continue to fight and win, as harsh as that may be. I sympathise with him and feel he's earnt it, and even I wouldn't pick him for the next title shot. Imagine how strong the resistance seem from those that don't have sympathy for his plight?

• Paid Members

He had this to say about the potential Wonderboy scrap:

image.png.742ef06da14b6f6323f6e17ac24f2602.png

I think it'd be a great fight for him to take, personally, but that's just coz I love Wonderboy and I want to see him fight as much as possible.

I think Edwards just wants Usman or Masvidal, and that's it. He doesn't even seem to be interested in taking a fight with Burns (and vice versa, in fairness).
The Masvidal narrative makes sense and the history there writes the 'hype' itself, but at this stage I think Masvidal has outgrown fighting a Leon Edwards at this stage of his career, because there's no gimmick involved, if that makes sense.

EDIT - Our Al said it better than I could...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Unfortunately for Leon, all the fighters ranked above him are on paths that don't include Leon Edwards in their immediate future. Its a horrible situation to be in but Edwards needs to start fighting.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I think it'd be a great fight for him to take, personally, but that's just coz I love Wonderboy and I want to see him fight as much as possible.

Same. People forget as well, Wonderboy is coming up on turning 38 years old. He looks at least a decade younger. But he’s had a long career in combat sports, a load of fights between Kickboxing and MMA and he’s now been inactive for nearly a year. He probably doesn’t have a ton of fights left. A fight with Edwards late this year/early next would be grand. But really, I just want to see Wonderboy back in there.

As for Edwards, he’s definitely playing a risky game because although he’s definitely earned a crack at the gold, sitting on the sidelines while the other top contenders stay active just means he’ll get passed over. It’s not like 170 is shallow or short of challengers for Usman. The Gilbert Burns fight is most likely next and, as much as I can’t stand him, I’d say Colby Covington has already made a strong case to get back in the mix after that performance against Woodley. And even though they might not deserve it, you just know if the likes of Masvidal and McGregor decide they want a shot at the belt then Dana will put them on the fast track to that. Guys like that who are marketable/popular are always just one win away from getting back in the conversation. I like Edwards and I’d love to see a Brummie get a UFC title shot. I mean, I don’t see him ever beating the likes of Usman or Covington but he might beat everyone else. But he’s not the most exciting fighter to watch and he doesn’t exactly have the gift of gab either or the ability to hype a fight up. He’s the type of fighter they’ll pass over unless they absolutely can’t deny him. But while he’s sat on the bench, he’s giving them the excuse to do just that. It’s a shame but that’s the way it is. After Usman vs Burns you’re probably looking at Covington against the winner. That’ll probably take us into mid 2021. If any of those fights are controversial or FOTY type deals then we could see an immediate rematch in there, dragging it out longer. Edwards could be sitting idle another year depending how things play out. It’s not like when Stipe sat out waiting for the DC rematch. You can get away with that in a shallow pool like Heavyweight where top level contenders are thin on the ground. In a division like Welterweight though, you’re either active or you’re yesterday’s news.