The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeah. Seen some moaning that Yan vs Sterling is co-main under Nunes vs Anderson. I donā€™t have a problem with it myself. Yan vs Sterling is the more interesting fight, Nunes fight is probably going to be a mauling. But whatever. Nunes is ace. And besides, main or co-main, who gives a jizz? Itā€™s not like we canā€™t watch both.

Thereā€™s always the chance this McGregor vs Poirier rematch lands on this card as well. If itā€™s actually real. Wasnā€™t McGregor banging on about it being on 255 or 256?Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

12 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah. Seen some moaning that Yan vs Sterling is co-main under Nunes vs Anderson. I donā€™t have a problem with it myself. Yan vs Sterling is the more interesting fight, Nunes fight is probably going to be a mauling. But whatever. Nunes is ace. And besides, main or co-main, who gives a jizz? Itā€™s not like we canā€™t watch both.

Thereā€™s always the chance this McGregor vs Poirier rematch lands on this card as well. If itā€™s actually real. Wasnā€™t McGregor banging on about it being on 255 or 256?Ā 

well i watched the interview with dustin from today on the Ariel podcast and he has said the UFC haven't even reached out at all regarding the Conor fight.Ā 

even though Conor has said he want's the fight to be this year in either November or DecemberĀ 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, David said:

I know it's not the done thing to back McG at all, but he's really being fucked over by the UFC's seeming refusal to give him a fight while there's no fans.

Just seen this;

Wonder why theyā€™re insisting on January. What odds does it make to them to throw it onĀ either theĀ November or December PPVs? I donā€™t get it. I mean, fuck McGregor as always but itā€™sĀ like theyā€™re just being awkward for the sake of it. Between Danaā€™s little tiff with Conor recently and Poirier trying to get more dough, this just seems like Dana flexing as a bit of a ā€˜fuck youā€™ to them both. Itā€™s a matter of weeks difference. Why does it have to be January?Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

It probably does have a fair bit of muscle flexing behind it, but the other part of it may be paying champions PPV points. My guess is McGregor's next fight, like the Cerrone one, is with him in the main event of a show with very little back up underneath. No title fights, and very few names. They don't want to give Yan or Nunes points (should they be in a position to get them, contractually) when they didn't drive the buys.Ā 

Whatever it takes to maximize profit I guess, especially while there aren't any fans. Though they could finally do a full stadium show in Florida if they wanted to take that risk, by the sounds of what is coming out of there. Zero restrictions on stadium attendance I gather?Ā 

You know what the mental thing is? See if McGregor was halfway smart, he could probably afford to hire a couple of lawyers who could rip that UFC contract to shreds in any court in the land.

Imagine if that happened? The fallout would be immense, and would probably turn Conor from a hated figure into the man who (inadvertently) changed MMA contract history forever.