The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

That seems to be pretty much the consensus opinion from what I’m reading online but I don’t know. Perry’s nothing special. And while Lawler’s definitely not the beast he used to be, he’s lost to Magny and Covington in his last couple who are both hard to look good against at the best of times. Covington probably beats everyone in the division not named Usman (although maybe him too in a rematch) and the Magny fight came together last minute as Lawler stepped in to replace Geoff Neal.

I’m not saying he hasn’t lost a couple of steps but I wouldn’t say he’s done just yet. This Perry fight will answer a lot about what he’s got left because on paper this is right up his alley stylistically. If he looks gunshy here, yeah I’d say he’s finished. 

• Paid Members

Colby Covington reckons him vs Masvidal is in the works for December.

What happened to Jorge vs Nate 2? Although to be honest, fuck that BMF bollocks. I’d rather see this. The Colby-Jorge thing is a fresh fight with a backstory going back years. The Nate thing was just a re-run of a one sided beating. I’d watch it but I’m over the BMF thing.

If 170 shapes up something like this over the next few months...

Kamaru Usman vs Gilbert Burns

Colby Covington vs Jorge Masvidal

Leon Edwards vs Wonderboy Thompson 

Demian Maia vs Khamzat Chimaev 

Robbie Lawler vs Mike Perry 

Niko Price vs Michel Pereira 

Neil Magny vs Vicente Luque 

Gerald Meerschaert vs Mickey Gall maybe, just to get Our Gerald back in the win column. 

That leaves...maybe Woodley vs...Cerrone? Diaz? I don’t know. Probably forgetting a couple of obvious ones. 

I’d be well happy. This would do me for Welterweight. 

• Paid Members

Yeah was just about to post that. Can’t be COVID as the fight is still just under 2 months away. Cody must be injured.

Seeing all sorts of comments how this is a disaster and that Figueiredo vs Garbrandt was the big fight that Flyweight needed but...was it? I mean, it was bigger than Perez or Moreno sure. Just because Cody had the belt at 135 for a bit, coached TUF etc. But I think people are overestimating how big a name he is. Fig vs Cody probably wouldn’t have done much better than any other Flyweight title fight on top. We’re talking marginal differences surely. Cody’s not some game changer. People going on like that was a ‘money fight’ must’ve lowered the bar for what’s considered a money fight these days. And besides, fuck him. He was jumping the queue anyway. I didn’t have a big problem with that but I’m not feeling sorry for him that someone else is getting the shot now either.

My only disappointment here is that, while Perez is alright, I’d have preferred Figgy vs Moreno myself. Oh well. 

• Paid Members

Bellator signed Rustam Khabilov today as well. That’s an even bigger surprise than Johns to me. Surprise that the UFC have let him loose, not that Bellator have picked him up. Probably just a case of his contract coming to an end and him wanting to go elsewhere. 

Khabilov is coming off a UFC win, has won 7 of his last 8 and has a win over Jorge Masvidal on his record (albeit years ago). 

Edited by wandshogun09