The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Great fight and usually I’d be all over it but I’m still fucking gutted we’re not getting Ferguson vs Poirier now. It’s about the best consolation prize they could give us but I’m still gutted. Ferguson vs Poirier just seemed perfect. 

• Paid Members

Wow, undefeated and he beat Norman Parke twice (and poked him in the eye). Interested already. Reading up about the tactics he used against Parke, I think @Keith Houchen would love this guy - he's down for shithousery.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/norman-parke-eye-poke-mateusz-gamrot-140177

Norman Parke would be forgiven for not wanting to step inside the cage to fight Mateusz Gamrot again.

In the two fights Norman Parke has had with Mateusz Gamrot, the Northern Irishman has had both eyes poked, his finger bitten and his groin kicked.

Their first meeting ended in a contentious unanimous decision win for the KSW lightweight champion, with many folks thinking Parke had done enough to get the nod.

The rematch in Dublin was even more controversial. It was called off in the second round as a No Contest after Parke was unable to continue following his second eye-poke of the night. He was also punched by an opposition cornerman after the official decision.

From very early on, it was clear that this was going to be a dirty fight. Gamrot's thunderous groin kick really was a sign of things to come.

• Paid Members

That’s the thing. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t mind actually paying for a fight like that. But with the way things are going with these pullouts lately, you could pay for a Khabib vs Gaethje main event and wind up with something like Jessica Eye vs Neil Magny on the night after 14 fighters fall off with COVID the day of. 

Kind of a shame but I've always quite liked Dodson. I know Wand is not a fan but he always seemed happy and likeable on Bispings TUF season, then he absolutely destroyed TJ in the final and was doing backflips of the cage and I thought we had a new mega star. It wasn't to be and alot of his fights have ended up in rather boring affairs since. I give him props for rocking the Maurice White balding Afro recently though.

• Paid Members

He always irritated the shite out of me but I’m a little bit surprised at that release. I know he’s not doing so well results wise lately and he’s 35 and done as a title contender, but of all the dead wood they’ve got on the roster these days, surely he’s still worthy of a spot. Wasn’t long ago he stopped Nathaniel Wood and my memory is vague on the fight but I could swear he knocked Petr Yan down at one point in their fight as well, although maybe that was someone else. Not going to pretend I’m upset he’s gone, but he’s still better than a fair chunk of the dross still on the books. Then again, Bantamweight is going from strength to strength at the moment. They won’t exactly miss him. 

31 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I give him props for rocking the Maurice White balding Afro recently though.

75BCC82D-0D1E-42C1-B2D5-6A3631DE107F.jpeg