The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

I be excited to see him come back, but I don't see him faring all that well against the elite of the welter division. He'd be one of those fighters I mentioned in the Lawler thread. No interest in seeing him face someone like Leon Edwards and getting out-pointed.

I'd pick Usman, Burns and Covington to all decision him rather easily. At this point the only bout that would interest me is a Masvidal one. Revenge for his brother and all that, Kickboxer style.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

He'll get rattled by a top 5 for sure but it's Nick Diaz. Impossible not to be excited.

Wonder if they can convince GSP to come back for a pay day? If Nick is only about for the coin then they should be looking at 'superfights'. Nick v Conor, for example. 

He could beat Conor McGregor right enough. Get it booked Dana. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

I be excited to see him come back, but I don't see him faring all that well against the elite of the welter division. He'd be one of those fighters I mentioned in the Lawler thread. No interest in seeing him face someone like Leon Edwards and getting out-pointed.

I'd pick Usman, Burns and Covington to all decision him rather easily. At this point the only bout that would interest me is a Masvidal one. Revenge for his brother and all that, Kickboxer style.

yeh, Diaz aint gonna be troubling anywhere near the top, this has to be a marquee style matchup type deal. The idea of Masvidal beating Nate again then Nick coming in for revenge is getting me pretty excited.

33 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, Diaz aint gonna be troubling anywhere near the top, this has to be a marquee style matchup type deal. The idea of Masvidal beating Nate again then Nick coming in for revenge is getting me pretty excited.

Exactly. We need these types of bouts alongside the title contender fights and title shots.

• Paid Members

Got to say, he looks ten times better there than he has in years. Amazing what dropping a few pounds and tidying your hair up can do. This was him last summer;

23-D16578-2-FC5-4-B22-922-B-2-B6-B5-A109

For the last few years, anytime he’s popped up he’s had that bag of shit look we all have the day after a heavy night of drinking. Except it was pretty much every time you saw him. Always looking sweaty, bloated in the face and haggard as fuck. Like he’d slept in a wheelie bin the night before and just rolled out of it and cracked on as he was. I know that sounds harsh. He had nothing to train for so fair play if he wanted to just let himself go a bit. I think after years of being obsessed with training (for MMA and his triathlons) and being healthy and eating clean and all that, he probably got burnt out and it seemed like he made up for some lost time partying in recent years. He looked bollocksed though, like he’s had a 3 year continuous hangover. Even if these comeback talks go nowhere, it’s good to see him looking healthier these days. 

• Paid Members

Considering she turned out to not be all that much cop overall, we got a good run out of...

1446671553-tv-matt-lucas-vicky-pollard-l

...Betch.

Her "feud" and run with Rousey and the Four Horsewomen was fun, and basically a glimpse into why pro-wrestling went worked - every so often, real fights will throw up something like this. Correia was basically the midcarder built up to be fed to the rising main-eventer, give her a bit of story and character development. Her match with Rousey would most certainly have got more views/PPV buys than it would have if she'd just been announced as a contender having beaten some other people and just been the next viable candidate.

Considering her ability and career, I'd say...

340?cb=20100617180157

...Betch punched above her weight in the entertainment stakes, so fair play to her. Hopefully she's getting out relatively healthy.