The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, David said:

Dude will want to get paid. In this sport the one thing you know is that you have to strike while the iron is hot. If someone else comes in and beats Zabit then they'll springboard to bigger things and bigger pay.

Kattar will take the fight if he's offered it.

Oh, I get that - it's just that, keeping the business hat on, surely there's also the added risk of another loss affecting your earnings? Especially if he fancies he can one day be earning championship money, and a second loss to Zabit could damage that.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Oh, I get that - it's just that, keeping the business hat on, surely there's also the added risk of another loss affecting your earnings? Especially if he fancies he can one day be earning championship money, and a second loss to Zabit could damage that.

In this crazy MMA world the safest bet is taking an opportunity as soon as it appears. Missing a fight can result in someone like a Gilbert Burns relegating you to yesterday's news.

• Paid Members

I’d have preferred to see Yan vs Sterling and Moraes vs Garbrandt next but last I heard Garbrandt is on about dropping to 125 and he’s angling for a shot at Figueiredo’s belt now. And I reckon he’ll probably get it given the lack of marketable names at Flyweight. So that left Moraes as the odd man out again. I’m assuming we will get Yan vs Sterling next so Sandhagen is about as good a fight as there is available to Moraes right now unless he wants to sit out for months longer. And he’s already been inactive since December. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Garbrandt is on about dropping to 125 and he’s angling for a shot at Figueiredo’s belt now. And I reckon he’ll probably get it given the lack of marketable names at Flyweight. 

Yep.

I hope Figgy wrecks him. 

• Paid Members

Scary stuff for Geoff Neal, really glad to hear he seems to ha e weathered the worst of his illness, hopefully he can get healthy again and doesn't need to be hooked up to a dialysis machine on a regular basis. He was set to fight Neal Magny, but Robbie Lawler is taking his place later this month. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/8/9/21361423/robbie-lawler-steps-into-fight-neil-magny-on-aug-29-after-geoff-neal-reveals-recent-hospitalization

Magny seems a good dude, but I hope Lawler can make a return to his marauder form here against him, and get back on track.