The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

No. I’m not getting sucked in yet. That’s a fan made poster. Is it actually confirmed official by any legit sources yet? Because that fight’s been being talked about as ‘in the works’ for that Aug 29th card for at least 2 months. Then there’s the Zombie vs Ortega fight that’s been ‘in the works’ so long Volkanovski has managed to beat Holloway twice in the meantime. I love Featherweight but fuck me it’s slow moving sometimes. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

No. I’m not getting sucked in yet. That’s a fan made poster. Is it actually been confirmed official by any of legit sources yet? Because that fight’s been being talked about as ‘in the works’ for that Aug 29th card for at least 2 months. Then there’s the Zombie vs Ortega fight that’s been ‘in the works’ so long Volkanovski has managed to beat Holloway twice in the meantime. I love Featherweight but fuck me it’s slow moving sometimes. 

Not to mention we're in COVID world at the moment.

I don't even really look at a card until a few days before the fight now. I'll start checking out the pre-fight videos around Thursday for a Saturday event.

Breen seems to think that the UFC's 205lbs division has a lot of potential - https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/7/31/21349315/middleweights-slow-steady-and-strange-journey-into-the-mma-spotlight

Given that he watches every UFC show and tracks the progress of its Light Heavyweight's prospects, I find his take quite uplifting. I find that Breen is right more than he is wrong. 

On 8/1/2020 at 6:28 AM, SBD said:

Whittaker really gives 0 F's. He spent 50 minutes in the Octagon with Yoel, got his face beaten to a pulp by Adesanya, went 5 rounds with Till and now he's taking on Cannonier only 3 months after his fight with Till? 

Crazy

• Paid Members

Maybe, given his health problems, he feels his time in MMA as a competitor is going to be more limited than most, and is trying to get himself back in the title picture quicker? 

Either way, I don't think this is wise. I don't think it's an exaggeration to call Cannonier a killer, and whilst Bobby Knuckles is easily elite enough to go at it with him, doing so in any time shorter than what it would take to recover from any damage and do a full camp seems reckless. 

Edited by Carbomb

You're right, it has to be him trying to make up for lost time.

Whoever wins will get the shot at Adesanya/Costa, and it may sound like wishful thinking because there's a long way to go, but could you imagine how ridiculous a Costa vs Cannonier title fight would be? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i cursed it when i posted that fake poster the other day 😔

You certainly did mate. At least you're understanding the error of your ways. 

• Paid Members

Oh fuck sake. That fight is never going to happen is it? It’s going to be the 145 version of Khabib vs Ferguson. Saw the other day that it was originally supposed to happen at UFC 228 in 2018. Between these two and Zombie and Ortega constantly teasing fighting each other but never putting out, these 145ers are getting annoying. No wonder Dana’s on about doing that Volk vs Holloway 3 fight which nobody else is calling for. 

Edit - Just rumours at this stage but there’s some talk of Calvin Kattar stepping in. Good fight but I’m not really into doing that rematch so soon. Rather see Zabit vs Ortega or something. If they do Zabit vs Kattar 2 I hope it’s 5 rounds this time. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah, given that Kattar went 5 rounds only a month previous to the fight date, it's not wise - it's never a good idea to go in half-cocked and damaged against someone on a run like Zabit. Obviously no-one questions his bravery, but it's not only himself he needs to factor into the equation.

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, given that Kattar went 5 rounds only a month previous to the fight date, it's not wise - it's never a good idea to go in half-cocked and damaged against someone on a run like Zabit. Obviously no-one questions his bravery, but it's not only himself he needs to factor into the equation.

Dude will want to get paid. In this sport the one thing you know is that you have to strike while the iron is hot. If someone else comes in and beats Zabit then they'll springboard to bigger things and bigger pay.

Kattar will take the fight if he's offered it.