The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Parke missed weight, fights still on though:

id initially planned on watching the KSW live tomorrow until Masvidal was brought in for the UFC. Im gonna be trying to get some shut eye now before the UFC starts.

• Paid Members

Don’t know if this is legit, Joanna messing about or what. But...

6-EBA4-A6-F-154-B-48-E1-82-D2-15-AF94-D6

A0316033-AAB3-4-DCA-83-E9-C3-B813-A1-F25

☹️

Doubt it sticks anyway but fair play if she is walking away on her terms. She’s had a lot of fights between MMA and Muay Thai. If she can afford to pack it in young and get out healthy then that’s always a good thing. But I’ll miss watching her fight. One of the best and I really think she’s raised the bar for the women, skills-wise. Ronda gets the plaudits in terms of visibility but at the same time as Ronda’s big run, Joanna was putting on striking clinics and dismantling women left and right. She showed in that FOTY against Zhang in March that she’s got plenty left in the tank if she chooses to carry on. But if it’s over then that was a hell of a fight to go out on. 

• Paid Members

yeh, when the UFC brought in that division i literally had zero interest in watching it. Joanna gave us a reason to watch. Even now i'm indifferent to most women's MMA, but i'll always tune in to watch her fight.

• Paid Members

The competition always catches up with the champ, it's just the way things go, but Joanna looked unbeatable for a period. As wand said, she is one of the most pleasing fighters to watch on the roster, due to her speed and incredible skill. She's as hard as trying to remember how to spell her surname.

Wondering who's next for Masvidal? It ain't Covington, that's for sure:

"The fragile guy with the MAGA hat, definitely not him,” Masvidal said when referencing Covington at the UFC 251 post fight press conference. “Cause he got finished by this guy with a full training camp. He had like 12 weeks and he got finished by that guy. That guy’s below me and this dude by a lot.

“Six days’ notice and I was nowhere near getting hurt or getting put out. The gas tank wasn’t the best but I wasn’t going nowhere as far as damage goes. Everybody could see that. So definitely not that punk.”

Masvidal knows whats up. Two losses on the bounce isn't good for his earning potential, and he'd likely face the same fate against Covington as he did against Usman. 

I think it's got to be Nate or McG next.

• Paid Members

I was looking at Masvidal's record, and I saw that his first ever defeat was against Rafael Assuncao. That's mental - presumably it would've been in the lightweight or featherweight division, but what sort of size differential must there have been for someone who's now a welter to face someone who spent most of his career as a bantam?

Sad news:

Tragedy has struck the MMA community as UCMMA Welterweight Champion and Bellator MMA veteran Jahreau Shepherd was murdered in London, England. A report from The Evening Standard states that Shepherd was murdered after being stabbed to death during his thirtieth birthday party. Police and medical personnel were called to the establishment where Shepherd lived and his body was discovered on the front lawn, where the fighter would be pronounced dead a short time later.

Shepherd was reportedly stabbed moments after holding a birthday party barbecue and no suspect(s) has been named at this time, an investigation is being conducted at this time by the Scotland Yard. Another person was reportedly stabbed at the party as well, but that person, who is twenty six years old, is expected to survive.

The fighter had a 6-2-0 record as a professional MMA fighter, defeating John Jasinski at UCMMA 61 in November of last year to win the promotion’s welterweight title. Shepherd also competed in Bellator MMA at Bellator 200, defeating Marcin Zywica by first round TKO.

UCMMA is Dave O'Donnell's promotion. So I assume some of you might know who he is. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

hes claimed he's signed a bout agreent to fight Cody Garbrandt in October aswell.

In the article it says Garbrandt confirmed the October fight

American Top Team is the COVID-19 hotspot it would seem