The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Glad they stuck with the Poirier vs Hooker plan. That was originally supposed to headline the San Diego show in May. Great fight.

Oh shit, this is happening as well at 252...

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Please happen this time. Please happen this time. Please happen this time.

And by process of elimination this would likely leave us with that Zombie vs Ortega fight getting rescheduled. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but apparently some berk who was turned away from a nightclub in San Antonio for being too drunk showed back up with a gun and started blasting people.

He claimed beforehand that he was a "UFC fighter" from California.

Let's just hope it's the usual shit-talk from some dweeb in a tapout shirt.

• Paid Members

didnt know where to post this but Neil has locked the boxing thread in the off topic forum, not quite sure why? but should we bring boxing chat here? Its been quiet recently given the current circumstances but I know one stuff gets going we'll get some decent boxing conversation going. Its the same people posting in the boxing thread that post here afterall.

Thoughts?

I've always thought we should bring boxing talk in here, and just rename the section Combat Sports.

It would allow for threads on actual boxing events instead of just one long monotonous thread that's hard to follow sometimes.

• Paid Members

Anthony Smith vs Aleksandr Rakic is going down on 29th August according to that Marcel Dorff bloke on Twitter who seems to be one of the first to break every single fight announcement these days.

Potential barnburner that. But the timing of it might not be the best for Smith coming off that beating from Glover just a few weeks ago. Big opportunity for Rakic to get back on track as well.  

Miocic and DC 3 will take place in the smaller cage at the Apex. That could mean more grappling, which on paper favours DC. However, as Thomson (D.C's stablemate) mentions here, it's unlikely that DC will have the cardio to keep the fight on the mat for 25 minutes. And with the smaller cage, the pair will probably trade leather on more than one occasion. 

I'm still leaning towards picking Miocic by late stoppage. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I reckon Sandhagen would jump at that fight if offered. If Garbrandt is being advised to go a different direction, that's good management I think. Cody is still rebuilding, and the last thing he needs is a spark plug like Moraes right now. 

Cruz probably knows how many fights he does and doesn't have left in him, and I could see him eyeing up old guy fights with Aldo, Edgar and Faber, even Dillashaw, rather than a prime Marlon Moraes.