The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

It's GSP for me, but that's because Khabib's career has still to play out. If Khabib has a long run with the belt and remains undefeated in arguably the most talented division in UFC history, then it's pretty much an impossibility to argue he's not the best. 

I really want to see that GSP v Khabib match now. GSP is hardly in his prime but he looks after himself.

• Paid Members

I think Khabib’s standup is actually a bit underrated. People act like he’s useless on the feet and if a good striker could just keep it standing for a bit he’d be fucked. But then you watch him handle himself just fine on the feet against a guy like Poirier and it kind of shits on that theory. There was also that third round against McGregor that was largely standup and, while it clearly wasn’t his strongest area, he was never in any trouble and actually looked fairly comfortable. Not saying he’s a great striker or a devastating puncher or anything but what he does is effective for his style, it complements his grappling game and it does the job of getting him in the positions he wants to be. 

His chin seems pretty solid as well. The Michael Johnson thing got massively over-exaggerated but Johnson did connect clean on the jaw, snapped Khabib’s head sideways and within seconds Khabib had recovered and was killing Johnson with ground and pound. He handled what McGregor and Poirier threw at him just fine as well.

Again, not saying he’s some top striker. In a pure striking match I wouldn’t fancy him to beat a guy like McGregor. But for MMA, and particularly his style, what he does obviously works very well.

Not as good as K-1 Ben though...

58154F10-090C-4094-BF33-48B84D91BD18.gif

49 minutes ago, David said:

Khabib is the best I've ever seen. GSP was great, but everything that GSP did well, Khabib seems better at, especially the wrestling. Plus, GSP got caught in the standup more if I recall correctly. Khabib just seems to be excellent at many aspects, and even his not-so-great abilities are still pretty solid.

GSP did get tagged more than Khabib, but that was mostly because he spent more time on the feet and fought in a division with great wrestlers such as Fitch, Koscheck and Hughes. Khabib has mostly fought strikers with good, but not great, takedown defence. He thus finds it easier to dictate where the fight goes - although his striking game is indeed underrated. 

For a 5 year span between August of 2007 and November of 2012, GSP didn't lose a single round. In that time, he faced Fitch, Shields, Koscheck, Alves, Hughes, Penn, Serra, and Hardy. The two judges that awarded two rounds to Shields in 2011 were wrong. It wasn't his best performance by a long way. but GSP pitched another shutout that evening. 

The Serra loss counts against him and arguably so does his questionable decision win over Hendricks. The loss to Hughes I can overlook, because he was inexperienced and Hughes was the best WW in the world at the time. By contrast, Khabib was very fortunate to get the nod over Tibau in 2012 and fortunate to get the decision over another fighter he faced early on in his career. Other than that, he has been dominant from what I have seen. 

GSP edges it at the moment based on beating better competition. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of quantity. In 18 months time, things could look a bit different. 

I'm not a massive supporter of Whittaker's or anything. There are 3 or 4 middleweights that I prefer to him (Moose, Stylebender, Tokov, etc)

But he doesn't half come across as a top bloke. I hope he smashes Till if they eventually fight. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah Whittaker’s always come across as a really good guy.

I remember there were a few rumours about Whittaker’s kid being sick but obviously he’s shot that down. But I still think there might’ve been more to him taking time away than he’s willing to talk about. Not that depression and mental health issues aren’t enough of a reason but I remember that interview with Dana and he seemed a bit choked up talking about what Whittaker was going through at the time. I just can’t image Dana being that moved by someone being depressed and needing time out. Especially when it’s cancelling fights he wants to make. It was probably the most visibly upset I’ve ever seen Dana and he stressed how “selfless” what Whittaker was doing was. I think that’s why people assumed a family member must be sick and needing him.

Fuck knows. At the end of the day it’s none of our business. Sounds like he’s turning the corner now though so that’s good to hear. 

• Paid Members

I like the sound of Barboza vs Ige and Vera vs Yadong. Outside that and the main event it’s not the best of cards but after this drought we’ve had I’ll take pretty much anything.

Actually, looking at the card again, Elkins vs Landwehr could be fun as well. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Anyone seen this shit with Dana going on about stripping Stipe Miocic of his title if he doesn’t fight. In the middle of a global pandemic! I get the UFC want to crack on with booking events and fights but that would be way harsh. Stipe sounds up for the DC rubber match, he’s just not going to be pressured into committing to a date anytime soon with the current situation. He’s been typically cool and classy in his response, I hope they don’t end up taking the belt off him. 

389ED8A8-3EB9-4AA0-AA7C-30FFB53BE856.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So what’s the score with the next UFC then? From what I can gather there was meant to be a Fight Night on the 23rd, that’s now been moved to the 30th. And there’s still no concrete venue. Dana’s saying it’s either Vegas at the Apex or Arizona. 13 days out and this is it for fights announced so far...

611-DAF09-5-A46-40-CD-89-C7-33891-E4-E82

Then the week after it’s UFC 250. And this is all that’s been announced for that one...

8-A6-B644-C-99-C3-41-C9-8431-5-E7-FA916-

Unless there are some corkers in the works that they’ve yet to confirm, these are bare bones cards. I mean I love Burns vs Woodley, I’m a fan of Nunes and I’m looking forward to seeing Alonzo Menifield back in there but beyond that there isn’t much to sink your teeth into. Even if they combined these two cards it’s a bit weak. The 3 shows this last week have been a lot of fun so hopefully there’ll be some spice added to these 2 cards this week.