The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

This guy reckons the current plan is to rebook Khabib vs Ferguson. Never heard of him but he works for Bleacher Report, BJPenn.com etc. It’d certainly make sense to reschedule it ASAP when things eventually settle down. Khabib vs Ferguson and McGregor vs Gaethje in a mini tournament is clearly the way to go. Apparently Khabib’s been talking about a September date to get back in there. 

912F6661-4B30-4E54-AC9A-08E5E7D481DF.jpeg

• Paid Members

It surely can't get cancelled the next time the book it, right? I think we just give up if it doesn't.

@David I've assumed it's always going to be happening next, but some MMA journalists (Helwani being one) have speculated and fantasy booked that they'll do McGregor v Khabib 2 next for a quick buck, which is maybe why some are of the mind plans may have changed. It's silly anyway. They could do Khabib v Tony then follow it up shortly after with a Conor fight and they'll both surely do great business.

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought Khabib vs Ferguson should and most likely would be rebooked next but I must admit I’m half expecting Dana to go ‘Look, Khabib vs Ferguson is cursed. It caused a fucking global pandemic. Ferguson and Gaethje were set to fight last so we’re gonna do that. Khabib can defend against...someone else.” 

Someone else being Conor McGregor, obviously. Doesn’t make sense but it makes cents. And MMA fans are mostly dumb and immature as fuck so they’d be all over it. This ‘Khabib shat himself and stayed in Russia’ bollocks is actually a thing now. Just like Rose Namajunas was a coward for pulling out after 2 relatives fucking died from the virus. The lockdown has made it clear to me that there’s even more of those type of divs than I originally thought. 

8 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

This ‘Khabib shat himself and stayed in Russia’ bollocks is actually a thing now. Just like Rose Namajunas was a coward for pulling out after 2 relatives fucking died from the virus. The lockdown has made it clear to me that there’s even more of those type of divs than I originally thought. 

The lesson to be learned is to not go on Twitter. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Christ, folk are giving Rose some shit? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but that's horrid.

Yep. I shouldn’t be surprised but the amount of it I saw, even after it was made public that she’d pulled out because of family members dying, was a new low. Shite like this...

29D4F223-1D70-4B6A-9A2B-35051E7B3A39.jpeg

There’s more but you get the gist. But yeah, I’m at the point now where I might just fuck Twitter off. I find it handy for news but it seems like no matter who you follow, even if you make the effort to sift out all the mouth breathers, you still get this type of crap on your timeline through retweets and comments. It’s just a cesspool of negativity and cynicism all the time. I mostly only follow MMA, Boxing, Comedy, Hip Hop and those accounts that just post funny dog videos. And my TL is still about 70% wall to wall bickering and toxic debates about racism, homophobia, transphobia and all that. I thought social media was meant to be fun, a release from every day stresses? It’s fucking exhausting. 

• Paid Members

Anything I’ve clicked on about Rose or Khabib this last week has had at least one or two comments* slagging them for pulling out. It’s obvious trolling in a lot of cases but it doesn’t make it any less dickheaded. 

*Lesson #2 - never scroll down to the comments on anything. Ever. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

*Lesson #2 - never scroll down to the comments on anything. Ever. 

Man, you have no idea how true I hold that to be. It's my #1 rule on the internet.

If I didn't need social media for business, I'd honestly fuck it all off, and just keep FB Messenger to keep in touch with people. Fucking cesspit.

• Paid Members

Yeah, so...

15 hours ago, David said:

Was there some line of thought that when things got back to normal we'd see Tony fight Justin? That would make no sense.

54-EE80-AF-F2-E8-4526-A3-C1-552-F4-B7-F6

76-CD661-D-CF34-458-F-863-C-15-B130-ED11

I don’t like it but, like I said earlier, I’m not surprised. 

Khabib won’t be available for that date because of Ramadan. So I guess Ferguson doesn’t want to sit out and wait until September or whenever for Khabib. 

The safe bet is probably that this one gets cancelled as well anyway but whatever.  

Edit - the image is all to cock but the targeted matchups there are Ferguson vs Gaethje, Cejudo vs Cruz, Nunes vs Spencer and Ngannou vs Rozenstruik. 

Edit 2 - Okamoto’s also saying Anthony Pettis vs Donald Cerrone 2 is on tap for that card, if it goes ahead. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah, under any other circumstances I think everyone would be all for Ferguson vs Gaethje. How could you not be? But it does just feel like another obstacle that’s potentially going to push Khabib vs Ferguson further away.

This is the full proposed card that’s not going to end up happening on May 9th, by the way...

1F046AF0-5024-4664-9F74-A4E04A29FEE1.jpeg