The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Sorry to double post but Cory Sandhagen is saying he’s accepted an offer to fight Dominick Cruz.

F8889394-2976-418-B-B9-B6-96-BEF850-BB16

If it goes down on the San Diego card like he’s angling for, that’s the show that’s set to be headlined by Dustin Poirier vs Dan Hooker. What a Fight Night that’ll be if both of those fights end up on there. To be honest, I was expecting to see Cruz announce his retirement any day now. He hasn’t fought since losing to Cody Garbrandt at the end of 2016 plus he’s got the commentary/analyst gig pretty regularly. It’ll be interesting to see how he’d fit into the current Bantamweight landscape. As great a fighter as he was/is, the 135 division has got a lot deeper since he last fought. The likes of Sandhagen, Petr Yan, Marlon Moraes, Aljamain Sterling have really come on over the last year or two. I guess the appealing thing for Cruz now though, is you’ve got some more ‘names’ at 135 now. The Faber thing is obviously done but fights with Frankie Edgar and Jose Aldo are fresh and with top names and former champions from the same era as him who are also coming to the end of their careers. Something about Edgar vs Cruz especially really appeals to me. Sandhagen is no easy comeback fight by any stretch though, if it happens.

Few other bits and pieces...

• Carlos Diego Ferreira vs Drew Dober has been added to the Hermansson vs Weidman undercard in May. Not much of a fan of that to be honest. Was kind of hoping Ferreira would get something bigger coming off submitting Anthony Pettis. Maybe a Cerrone fight or something. Dober is coming off some nice wins himself but this feels like a step backwards for Ferreira.

• Didn’t see it posted but Amanda Nunes vs Felicia Spencer was announced for UFC 250 in Brazil in May. No real surprise, it was either going to be her or Megan Anderson.

• Curtis Blaydes is fighting Alexander Volkov on the Canada card in June.

• Brian Ortega is still a bellend;

E7E4C3EB-4E93-4CAF-8820-3D774FE7DC99.jpeg

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

To be honest, I was expecting to see Cruz announce his retirement any day now. He hasn’t fought since losing to Cody Garbrandt at the end of 2016 plus he’s got the commentary/analyst gig pretty regularly. It’ll be interesting to see how he’d fit into the current Bantamweight landscape. As great a fighter as he was/is, the 135 division has got a lot deeper since he last fought.

I remember people saying the same thing when he came back initially in 2016 when he'd essentially been out for five years (I know he fought Mizugaki in 2014, but it lasted a minute and he injured himself again).

If a positive can be taken from his recent time out, it's that it has nothing to do with his knees or his ACL. He broke his arm and injured his shoulder.

It may be that the division has passed him by, but I thought that before and ended up with egg on my face. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, what I've seen and heard of Cruz, he's one of the most intelligent people in the fight game - if there's anyone who has an idea of how to evolve to match the times, it's probably him. Only problem is his luck with injuries; it could be a simple case of the spirit being willing and the flesh being weak, sadly.

Personally, I'd like to see him come back for a run, maybe get a title shot before he retires. I'd say I'd like him to get his win back over Garbrandt, but I suspect that victory might be hollow even if he got it, given how Garbrandt's looked recently.

Just now, Carbomb said:

Yeah, what I've seen and heard of Cruz, he's one of the most intelligent people in the fight game - if there's anyone who has an idea of how to evolve to match the times, it's probably him. Only problem is his luck with injuries; it could be a simple case of the spirit being willing and the flesh being weak, sadly.

Personally, I'd like to see him come back for a run, maybe get a title shot before he retires. I'd say I'd like him to get his win back over Garbrandt, but I suspect that victory might be hollow even if he got it, given how Garbrandt's looked recently.

If his recent injuries had been related to his previous problems I'd agree. But he's been kept on the shelf due to a broken arm and a shoulder injury.

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

If his recent injuries had been related to his previous problems I'd agree. But he's been kept on the shelf due to a broken arm and a shoulder injury.

No, I know - it's more just a general observation that he just doesn't seem to have any luck. I'm not superstitious, but sometimes the incidences stack up so much it becomes difficult to ignore.