The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Fabricio Werdum is back and fighting Alexey Oleynik at UFC 250 in May as well. Don’t know what we’re getting out of Werdum at this stage. 42 years old and coming off a USADA suspension isn’t exactly the peak is it? But if he’s got anything left he’ll be a welcome addition to throw back into the Heavyweight mix. I like this fight with Oleynik a lot as well. Hopefully they don’t just kickbox because I’d love to see how their grappling matches up. 

Sure I read rumours that 250 is the show that Cejudo vs Aldo might land on. It’s in Brazil so it would make sense, I guess. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

One thing to bear in mind is that Calderwood is also a kickboxer/Muay Thai boxer, and a former champion at that. Whilst Sheva probably will beat her, I think the style match-up means we could see more an exchange of high-level skills instead of the champ mowing through the challenger, especially as, as Shane O' said above, Calderwood is pretty tough.

• Paid Members

As a huge fan of both, I should be excited. I’m not. First fight was an all-time classic. Second fight was decent. In 2020 though? Not sure what either have left. Especially Nog. Plus, despite both fights being really close, Shogun is 2-0 anyway. Not much point in this. In an ideal world (that doesn’t exist) they’ll have one last great fight, it goes to a draw on the cards, and then they both announce their retirement in front of the Brazilian crowd. What I’m actually expecting though, is both come plodding out, both throwing punches in slow motion. Then Shogun clips Nog and it’s over. Shogun’s lost several steps but he’s nowhere near as far gone as old Noggles.

2005; 

A621-B2-A1-3-FBE-47-D9-97-FC-08-D8385-CC

2015;

3-B2-CF62-A-04-AD-46-E0-B15-C-D773-C2-BB

2020; 

9095268C-F300-4BAF-8391-739990B9C283.gif

19 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Not much point in this. In an ideal world (that doesn’t exist) they’ll have one last great fight, it goes to a draw on the cards, and then they both announce their retirement in front of the Brazilian crowd. What I’m actually expecting though, is both come plodding out, both throwing punches in slow motion. Then Shogun clips Nog and it’s over. Shogun’s lost several steps but he’s nowhere near as far gone as old Noggles.

You are taking the same position that I did before Rampage vs Fedor. "It's all pointless nostalgia, etc, etc, etc". It's the sensible view to hold really. 

However, nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I ended up staying up until the crack of dawn to watch Fedor vs Rampage. I even spent a chunk of the evening watching old Fedor HL reels on Youtube. I'll even admit to pitifully punching the air in delight when Fedor won. 

So don't be surprised if you get lost in the moment when the two old gits touch gloves.  

• Paid Members

I must admit to being susceptible to the MMA version of the Mandela Effect - I thought Lil Nog retired recently?

Have to say, I feel a bit bad for Weidman; he's sort of stuck in limbo now. Rockhold really took his soul, to the point where he went from the undefeated beast who broke Anderson Silva to going 1-7 with a stillborn LHW relaunch. Even if he beats Hermansson, where does he go from there? He's 35, at which point he needs to be in the thick of things, but he's about as distant from the title mix as it's possible for a former champ to be, and yet retirement would be drastic as he's still in the UFC and earning good money.

In a way, he's the MW/LHW Anthony Pettis. The cliff his form has fallen off has been both spectacular and mind-boggling. He clearly wasn't a shit fighter, so what was it that hit him so fatally? Was he one of those whose confidence rode completely on being undefeated, like Rousey? Was the Rockhold beatdown simply too traumatic? Does he have Punch Eye? There are so many pitfalls connected with combat sports, it could be at least one of the problems, or all of them.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

I ended up staying up until the crack of dawn

Filth. How is Dawn anyway? 

43 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I must admit to being susceptible to the MMA version of the Mandela Effect - I thought Lil Nog retired recently?

Nog did say a few months back that he wanted one more fight in Brazil in 2020 and then he’s retiring. And obviously, this fight is in Brazil in 2020 so this might well be it for him. Maybe you saw a quote from that interview and that’s what you’re thinking of.