The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

From MiddleEasy:

Switching gears, Oscar De La Hoya seems to be trying to ramp up Golden Boy MMA. And, he plans on executing the idea by using a familiar name in Tito Ortiz once again. Rumblings around the Sunday mill point to Ortiz’s opponent being UFC legend Dan Henderson. The fight would definitely be the main event and would most likely take place in the light heavyweight division.

FFS 😄

• Paid Members

Josh Thomson has called it a career:

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/bellator/strikeforce-ufc-bellator-veteran-josh-thomson-announces-his-retirement/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

I thought he may fight again but seems he has his shit in order with the punditry and what not. Probably for the best at 41. A true pioneer of the lighter weight classes in the States.

• Paid Members

I kind of thought he’d already retired but can’t say I’ve followed him much in recent years. Half expected him to do a fourth fight with Gilbert Melendez now Gil’s not in the UFC anymore but I’d rather they left that alone. 

Fair play, Thomson seems to be getting the Bellator analyst gig regularly. He was on Rogan’s podcast in the last week or so as well. Seen snippets on YouTube and it looks like a good one.

I’ll mostly remember him for that series with Melendez. One of the best trilogies in MMA history. But his stoppage over Nate Diaz has to be up there as well. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Thomson was a cracking lightweight in his prime. The 2nd fight with Melendez was my fight of the year in 2009 IIRC. 

Sadly, I remember his losses more than his victories. The SD loss to Bendo (which the judges should have given him), the 2nd and 3rd fights with Gil, and his knockout loss to Yves Edwards. 

• Paid Members
On 1/28/2020 at 7:45 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Seeing a lot of talk on Twitter that Korean Zombie vs Zabit Magomedsharipov is in the works for UFC 249, which is the Khabib vs Ferguson card. Hasn’t been confirmed yet but fuck me I hope it’s true. 

C4D8A818-15CD-408F-B76B-1364520599F6.jpeg

Well...

C4664-AC3-1-B8-F-4-FD0-8-D92-F4-FAFE08-D

04C3371B-1101-439E-829C-D97253570541.gif

• Paid Members

Seems weird they’re announcing that so far out. As soon as I saw that I knew McGregor is probably fighting the winner of Khabib vs Ferguson next. And lo and behold, Dana is saying this now...

”Khabib and Tony will fight in Brooklyn, and Conor will probably fight the winner. Conor’s talking about not wanting to wait that long, I don’t know what else makes sense, but who knows with that kid. The reason everybody loves him [McGregor] so much is because he could say, ‘You know what, I want to fight this guy now,’ some other weight class or whatever. But he keeps it fun.”

“Everybody loves him so much” apparently. I’m actually looking forward to the next time he gets crushed and fucks off again now. The nonsense I’ve heard the last week or two since he beat Cowboy. Did you know he invented shoulder strikes and that Khabib has gone into hiding after seeing the destruction be caused to Cerrone? In one breath McGregor is ‘back’ and it was the most impressive thing ever. In the next, Cerrone is a quitter, which doesn’t make it seem so impressive after all. Sick of it.

But yeah, Usman vs Masvidal makes the most sense for the 170 title. Can’t see Masvidal doing too well in the fight but it’s the one to make now. 

34 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

In the next, Cerrone is a quitter, which doesn’t make it seem so impressive after all. Sick of it.

TBH outside some morons on Sherdog and Twitter the only person saying Cerrone is a quitter is Stephen A Smith. One of those ESPN "Hot Take" fuckwits. He got ripped apart for saying it too.