The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Jesus that's some incredibly tough stuff to be going through. I was kind of thinking that it was something to do with the fires in Australia that maybe a family member had died or was missing or something along those lines. I hope they all pull through the other side and both make it out healthy enough to try and have a happy life following this.

As Dana talked about in the video (and David mentioned above about possibly why) he's a really unselfish man, and clearly a great person. The donator of the organ usually has a harder time recovering than the recipient. If it's his child, wife, mother, father, sibling etc, then I'm sure for Whittaker that it's not even a question of if, but how soon can they start. Best wishes to all involved. 

• Paid Members

I saw the organ donation rumours but the stuff I saw was just Twitter/YouTube speculation so didn’t know if there was any substance to it. It’d make sense if it’s true though. Especially with Dana specifically saying how selfless Whittaker was as it could more than likely mean the end of his career but it’d obviously be worth losing that to help a loved one.

For whatever it’s worth, his most recent couple of posts on Instagram were of him and his little girl. This was what he posted when he pulled out of the Cannonier fight;

B289-CA56-4-DD8-4-E0-C-98-B2-D6-BFFC298-

Reading between the lines I’m thinking it’s something to do with his daughter which is heartbreaking. Hopefully it’s something that they can overcome. 

• Paid Members

That was harsh, unbelievable that she fought through it. Part of me thinks the corner should have pulled her out though, she yelled in pain a few times after hurting it early in round 2. That doctor check between rounds was weird too.

• Paid Members

Edmen Shahbazyan vs Derek Brunson added to 248 according to MMA Junkie. Really like that fight. Big test for Shahbazyan, who’s looked great so far. That card is quality already with Adesanya vs Romero and Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk up top as well. 

Also read earlier that Fabricio Werdum is due to return from his USADA suspension in April and he’s called out Alexey Oleynik. I’d bloody love to see that one.

Edit - Eggy beat me to it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

There are medical suspensions after every UFC event especially in the event of a knockout. It basically means the fighters need to get a doctor to sign off on them training/fighting again before the suspension period is over. 

So using Cerrone as an example, he can't fight again within 180 days unless a doctor signs off on it and says its safe for him to do so. 

• Paid Members

Good stuff. Really like Gane so far. Abdurakhimov isn’t anything special but he’s a tough, solid big lump and a logical next step for Gane. I’m glad they’re not rushing him because I think he could be something special down the line.