The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

I remember them promoting "Cowboy vs Cowboy" as a main event some time ago, but don't remember the fight. 

Edit - Just checked, I'm getting my Oliveiras mixed up, ignore that. 

Edit 2 - He was beaten by Holloway in a fight night main event in August 2015, in the first round. Lost by "neck injusy" though. My memory is shocking, I don't remember that at all either. 

Edited by kev2050

• Paid Members

I guess this should have been anticipated:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/ufc-248-robert-whittaker-out-jared-cannonieir-fight-report

Jacare, who's supposed to be coming back down from LHW, maybe he'll fill in against Cannonier? Or Gastelum? I think Till is booked.

As it turns out, Till isn't booked and Dana White was already aiming to book him on either the London show in March or UFC 248, the show Whittaker Vs Cannonier is supposed to be on. I reckon the switch gets made and Till gets Cannonier. 

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/dana-white-reveals-darren-till-ufc-next-fight-timeline

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Who’s Till booked against? I was thinking he’d probably end up fighting Jack Hermansson but if he’s available I reckon Till vs Cannonier is the best option. Jacare or Gastelum would be good as well though. Any of that lot would be logical tests and decent names for Cannonier at this stage. 

Shame Whittaker is out though. No doubt he’ll be getting shit off dickheads on Twitter but sod them. Apparently it’s ‘personal reasons’ this time rather than another injury/illness. Hopefully nothing too bad. 

Edit - hang on, Hermansson is calling out Gastelum now. 

53AAC58B-714A-470B-81B5-F8146B09DE6A.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

I thought he would eventually sign with the UFC. 

But I also thought it was going to take him a bit longer to put pen to paper. Negotiations with Bellator, for whom he was contractually obliged to talk with first, must have gone dismally. 

Edited by jimufctna24

- Romero has lost 3 out of his last 4 fights. 

- He missed weight the last time he fought for the title. 

- He's almost 43 years old. 

Nonetheless, I still can't wait to see him fight Adesanya. I think Stylebender beats him, don't get me wrong. But there is always a chance that Romero will land one of those massive knees and pull off the upset. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah, sod it. Nothing even against Grace Jones but sometimes you have to just forget what's 'good for the division' or whatever and just root for your guy. And I'll always back Yoel.

Just realised that fight is on the same card as Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk for the Strawweight strap, Cannonier vs TBA (hopefully Till, Jacare or Gastelum) and Mark Madsen's next fight. That's some card already.

Edited by wandshogun09

6 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

- Romero has lost 3 out of his last 4 fights. 

- He missed weight the last time he fought for the title. 

- He's almost 43 years old. 

Nonetheless, I still can't wait to see him fight Adesanya. I think Stylebender beats him, don't get me wrong. But there is always a chance that Romero will land one of those massive knees and pull off the upset. 

Normally I'd be shitting all over a fight like that, but with Costa injured (I think) there really isn't anyone else out there who's an outstanding candidate, so why not go with the Romero bout? As long as Costa faces the winner I have no issues with it.

• Paid Members

yeh, im a lot less annoyed at Romero getting the shot at Costs than I am Aldo getting the shot at Cejudo which is just ridiculous. If Moraes was out hurt id see how they could spin it, but how they can have Aldo leapfrog the guy who beat him for a title shot is beyond me. Awful shout that.

• Paid Members

First of all, there are no 246 spoilers in this video. So if you’re avoiding the results you’re safe to watch this.

Have a listen from around 7:20 here. Dana is asked about why Robert Whittaker pulled out of the scheduled Jared Cannonier fight and he gets a bit choked up when answering it. 

Sounds like Whittaker’s going through some heavy shit. You don’t often see Dana get like that. Especially when talking about a fighter pulling out of a fight.