The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

You can make a case for Stylebender vs Romero based on the following:

- It's the most exciting fight in the division. 

- Romero is a bigger name than Costa and Cannonier.

- Romero arguably should have got the nod against Costa and in the Whittaker rematch. I scored both fights in his favour. 

@jimufctna24 on what basis do you rank Romero/Adesanya as the most exciting fight? Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just think that Romero/Costa share many of the same attributes stylistically, and if we're going off their fight then you'd rank Costa as the "better" fighter owing to the fact he won.

You can certainly make a case in terms of it being the biggest fight in terms of name value, I'm just not sure it's a) the fairest way to do things or b) the most reliable with how frequent Romero's weight mishaps have been coming, especially now that he's pushing 43. 

12 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

@jimufctna24 on what basis do you rank Romero/Adesanya as the most exciting fight? Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just think that Romero/Costa share many of the same attributes stylistically, and if we're going off their fight then you'd rank Costa as the "better" fighter owing to the fact he won.

You can certainly make a case in terms of it being the biggest fight in terms of name value, I'm just not sure it's a) the fairest way to do things or b) the most reliable with how frequent Romero's weight mishaps have been coming, especially now that he's pushing 43. 

I agree that both present a similar, and new, challenge for Adesanya. Both are massive middleweights. But based on name value, I would look forward to Adesanya vs Romero more. 

I concede that Romero's weight mishaps are a worry. In fact, I would not book either Costa or Romero in California at present time. Both of them probably put more than 15% of their body weight between weigh-in and fight night, which is now forbidden by the CSAC.

Edit: To be clear, Costa's next fight should be for the title, regardless of whether Adesanya vs Romero happens in the meantime. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

If anyone is interested, BBC World Service have an audio documentary on  this Tuesday (Nov 5th) about Francis Ngannou and his journey to the UFC, as well as the impact of his success on aspiring MMA fighters in Cameroon.

Will be available online at the link below after it airs, or on the BBC Sounds app. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct036s

• Paid Members

I didn’t sign up to Fight Pass for ages but finally took the plunge a year or so ago. Think it’s something like £5.99 comes out of my bank once a month. It’s definitely worth the money if you think you’ll get a lot of use out of it. I mostly use it for the live Prelims but its also handy for going back to old fights, obviously. There’s an absolute ton of content on there. Every UFC ever plus Pride, Strikeforce, WEC, K-1, Cage Warriors, Invicta, right back to the old school stuff like King Of The Cage and Pancrase. You can get all the Contender Series stuff as well which I keep meaning to check out. Plus loads of documentaries and different bits and pieces. 

Anyway yeah, all seasons of TUF are on there. I rewatched some of TUF 3 recently. Only thing I don’t like is they’ve censored all the swearing on there, which can get really annoying. But for £5.99 a month, it’s crazy how much you get. 

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Fight Pass was meant to be relaunchibg last month, along with the announcement of Zuffa boxing.

I'm sure I heard Dana say the boxing thing is taking longer than he thought, it's a new approach, he's new to that game, it'll take time, all that jazz.

• Paid Members

This lot have all been released from their UFC contracts; 

Danilo Belluardo (12-5 MMA, 0-2 UFC) 

Manny Bermudez (14-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) 

Henry Briones (16-8-1 MMA, 1-4 UFC) 

Thomas Gifford (17-9 MMA, 0-2 UFC) 

Nohelin Hernandez (9-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC) 

Yoshinori Horie (8-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) 

Derrick Krantz (24-12 MMA, 0-2 UFC) 

Curtis Millender (17-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) 

Azamat Murzakanov (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) 

Andre Soukhamthath (13-8 MMA, 2-5 UFC) 

Maia Stevenson (6-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC)

Kyle Stewart (11-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC) 

Most of them seem fair enough. Disappointed to see Bermudez and Millender on there though. They both lost their last two fights but they were looking like legit prospects before that. Bermudez missing weight for his last fight can’t have helped his case either though. Krantz could’ve been fun to keep around as well. I’d never heard of Murzakanov before. Seemed odd to sack an undefeated fighter who hadn’t even fought in the UFC yet. But apparently he got popped by USADA before he could even make his debut. Not the best first impression. 

Briones isn't a shock really, he's doing a lot of stuff outside the cage now and is virtually retired. Commentating for Glory Kickboxing on ESPN, matchmaking & colour commentary for Lux Fight League in Mexico, and a fairly high-profile gig as the Spanish play-by-play guy for the NHL's LA King's on radio and occasionally on television as well. 

• Paid Members

I didn't realise the UFC had that many fighters under contract; I was under the impression that, whenever they run a new territory or somewhere specific outside the US, they effectively draughted in someone from that area/country to make the local crowd feel like they're being catered to, on a "one-and-done" basis.