The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

Miocic vs DC 3 is in the works - https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/9/19/20874742/dana-white-confirms-stipe-miocic-vs-daniel-cormier-trilogy-in-the-works?utm_campaign=mmafighting&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

While I will make the effort to watch if they fight again, I wouldn't object if they left it as it is. 

• Paid Members

Read in a couple of places that Volkan Oezdemir vs Aleksandar Rakic is in the works for the show in South Korea in December. Don’t think it’s on any of the main sites yet though. Chuffed if it happens. It’s the fight I was hoping they’d make after Volkan battered Latifi and Rakic murdered Manuwa. Also, it all but guarantees Jon Jones isn’t fighting until next year now. It wasn’t looking likely anyway but with Stipe vs DC 3 on the horizon plus Walker, Reyes, Rakic, Blachowicz booked at 205 and Santos injured, there are really no dance partners for him currently. 

I didn’t know they were going to Korea this year. That’s got to be where this long talked about Zombie vs Ortega fight will land, isn’t it? It’s the perfect main event for that card. KZ vs T-City with a Volkan vs Rakic co-main would be a pretty sweet way to end the year. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

All of the top heavyweights and light-heavyweights are now booked with the exceptions of Jones and Ngannou. Surely a Jones vs Ngannou match-up is too good to be true?

The thought of it leaves me conflicted. The idea of a cunt such as Jones potentially beating one of the nicest guys in MMA is distasteful, yet the prospect of Francis taking his head off is appealing.

In another thread, I said I thought Jones would have a tougher time of it at HW because of his reach being negated by most guys in the division. But on reflection, when you consider that Ngannou was made to look completely out of his depth by Miocic with sheer skill, it strikes me that there is the unpleasant possibility that Jones, whose skill and fight IQ is probably the best in the business, might do exactly the same thing. 

Jones has been known to go into fights without a gameplan and he almost got himself DQed against Anthony Smith earlier this year. It's possible that he would take Ngannou lightly and get stopped early on. Ngannou is certainly capable of catching him. Miocic is really the only UFC heavyweight to date that has withstood Ngannou's early blitz (Lewis did as well, but Ngannou wasn't on that evening). 

I think Jones would probably find a way to beat Francis, but it would be an interesting spectacle. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Did anyone watch that Diaz vs Masvidal press conference yet? I haven’t but a couple of people have told me it was really dull and the fan questions were typically awful. The crowds at these things are the worst, aren’t they? 

I did see this though;

3-F759-D6-C-5359-4338-BB22-3-C376-E72681

Is it just me who finds Masvidal’s obsession with being seen as MMA’s Tony Montana as a bit cringeworthy? I mean, it’s working for him as it appeals to the nobs who wish they could be a ‘gangsta’. The majority of MMA fans and media are lapping it up. He’s the new flavour of the month, despite being around forever and actually not being that exciting to watch prior to this year’s couple of admittedly outstanding knockouts. This Scarface schtick gives people something to go with, I guess, so I can’t blame him for running with it. I still can’t stand him though and even though Nate’s ‘gangsta’ talk can be annoying too, I hope he slaps ‘Ghetto Jesus’ all over the cage. 

The Askren fight has transformed Jorge into the biggest star in the welterweight division. The video of the knockout was a social-media sensation and Askren was the perfect victim.

But aye, he does little for me either. He looks like a right tit in the picture above, and he's fucking awful at trash talk. The only top-flight WWs that should be allowed near a mic are Askren and at a stretch Diaz. The other three, Covington, Usman and Masvidal, should be barred from public speaking. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
On 9/20/2019 at 9:28 PM, jimufctna24 said:

The Askren fight has transformed Jorge into the biggest star in the welterweight division. The video of the knockout was a social-media sensation and Askren was the perfect victim.

Masvidal's rise has been incredible, i dont think theres ever been another like that in MMA has there? For a 50 fight veteran who you could justifiably label a high level gatekeeper to break through and become of the most popular fighters in the sport over the course of 12 months is crazy. Ive always believed he had the laid back charisma and appeal, his whole persona has always been the same, even years back when he was a regular on MMAJunkie radio, same guy. 

ts just like as it if everythings aligned perfectly for him with the opponents hes beaten, the violent finishes, the 3-piece, Diaz returning etc. Its created the longest play over night sensation in MMA history. You cant help but be happy for a guy who has put in that much grind and who has fought a whos who fighters to finally get his rewards.

Masvidal is the man.

• Paid Members

Yeah he’s always been the same. He’s always been a plastic gangsta manchild div. But I find it funny how fickle most MMA fans are. Nobody but Ebb, Yoel Romero and Masvidal’s own family liked Masvidal before this year. He knocks out Till and Askren, makes up a couple of cringey catchphrases and cosplays Al Pacino and suddenly everyone’s claiming they liked him before I was even born and stuff. I can’t wait for the day Leon Edwards shuts him down in a 25 minute snoozer so all these Gotti-come-latelys can shut the fuck up and give Jorge’s dick a rest. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Nobody but Ebb, Yoel Romero and Masvidal’s own family liked Masvidal before this year.

😁

Most people forget now, but Masvidal's first real notoriety in MMA came from a fight in the early days of Bellator, and it came in defeat. Who remembers the Toby Imada reverse-triangle loss?

68015cc880aa930431341364b9851b66.jpg

For a good few years thats what he was most known for. I think thats where i first became aware of Masvidal, after that he just seemed to show up on random MMA show that id watch.

• Paid Members

Yeah that was the first time I heard of him. That was a mad finish. Whatever happened to Imada? 

Masvidal was always a good fighter but up until this year, a lot of his fights were usually close decisions and pretty dull ones. Literally the only time I’d see anyone bigging him up would be your posts Ebb. You were on that bandwagon by yourself. Now you can’t even get a seat. 

Edited by wandshogun09