The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

If they do indeed intend to match him with either Reyes, Walker, or Anderson, which is very possible, then Jones will not fight until early 2020. All three contenders are fighting in either October or November.

I guess it's possible that Jones will test the waters at HW in December. However, the likes of Overeem, JDS, Lewis, etc are all booked, and I think we can rule DC out for reasons already mentioned. The only available heavyweights with name value are Miocic and Ngannou. 

Jones would be taking one heck of a risk if he fought Miocic. And quite a risk if he fought Ngannou. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Most of the HWs Jones could face would be a risk, to be fair. DC was, in an odd way, the most beatable HW for him because his build is so unusual. Most other heavies will negate one of his biggest weapons, his reach. I don't see him being able to go toe-to-toe in the pocket with most of them, or to utilise his wrestling as effectively as he did at 205, which means he'd have to take an out-fighter approach, and given that he's had a superior reach to most of his opponents, I wonder just how much practice he's had with his footwork to that level.

That said, looking at Miocic's stats, Jones has four inches of reach on him. Hmmmm.

Fair points.

Jack Slack brought up an interesting point the other week. Jones looked below par when he added bulk to his frame for the OSP fight. He's not really built to be a heavyweight. His frame is perfect for light-heavyweight. 

Which is why I would be surprised if he jumps in at the deep-end of the division. It's unclear how he would perform as a heavyweight. 

• Paid Members

Given his frame, I do wonder what he'd be like if he dropped to MW, rather than moved up to HW. Is that possible for him? I know he's known to be lazy in the working out stakes, but if he for some reason decided to go for it, could he make 185? If he could, he'd probably rule that division too, as he doesn't rely on power and therefore wouldn't have to worry about loss of it.

I think he's perfect for light-heavyweight. Those additional 20lbs would be difficult for him to lose. 

If he tried, I can imagine he'd face the same issues as Rockhold and Weidman. Both of them abandoned the middleweight division primarily because the weight cut was making them weak and brittle. But, who knows. 

• Paid Members

I hope not. As much as I love the matchup I’m already sick to death of all this ‘gangsta’ talk. And as good as Masvidal and Diaz are, they’re fans wouldn’t want to admit it but this BMF Title would just be a consolation prize because basically they know they’ll never win the real thing while the Usmans, Covingtons and Woodleys are knocking about. They’re basically Taz in ECW when they had him drop the title to someone so he had a strop like a chubby orange child and created the FTW belt. I think that’s how it went down anyway. Regardless, all this gangsta shite talk is doing my head in already. It wasn’t cool or impressive when Konnan did it in WCW and it’s still cringeworthy 20 years later. 

• Paid Members

Fuck, is the MSG card about to get even more stacked? 

2E3D7C9B-EFAB-4675-98F8-2553F570A968.jpeg

Surely it lands on 245 if it’s either of them. How much more can they load up MSG? Although, as cool as it’d be to have Ortega vs Zombie added to one of these cards, I think I’d rather see it headline a Fight Night so we get 5 rounds. I’ll take it as a 3 rounder though. Just needs to happen. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Robbie Lawler vs Santiago Ponzinibbio is on tap for UFC 245 in December in Vegas. It’s in all the reputable places. 

For all the jizz getting spilt over 244, and rightly so, 245 isn’t looking too shabby at all. 

Max Holloway vs Alexander Volkanovski - Featherweight Title 

Amanda Nunes vs Germaine De Randamie - Bantamweight Title 

Robbie Lawler vs Santiago Ponzinibbio 

Matt Brown vs Ben Saunders 

Jessica Eye vs Viviane Araújo

Not as stacked as MSG but that’s a pretty sweet card already.