The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

That's a heck of a fight. A huge leap for Khamzat. As far as building up challengers for Usman, I'm not sure it's the right decision. If Burns wins, you burn a challenger as Burns isn't fighting Usman again anytime soon.  However for just a really exciting, interesting fight, it's a doozy. 

• Paid Members

Personally I'd go Luque Vs Usman. Edwards has a way to go yet. Hasn't got enough wins. Maybe he could fight Mike Perry or something, work his way back into contention after that injury he must have cursed onto Masvidal. If he beats Perry, maybe The Leech or something next. . . Or so goes Dana's next speech. 

• Paid Members

This is a cool bit of news. The UFC have signed Muhammad Mokaev. 21 years old, unbeaten at 6-0-0-1NC. From Dagestan originally but came to the UK as a refugee when he was a kid. Apparently he’s now the youngest fighter on the UFC roster. 

Haven’t seen more than little highlights of him so far but I’ve been following him on Twitter for a while now. He looks promising and seems a good guy. Pretty sure he had a bit of back and forth with Paddy Pimblett recently when Pimblett was retweeting dodgy ‘go back to your own country’ shit and I think there’s been a bit of needle between him and Jake Hadley already so that might be one to keep an eye on for the future. 

Bit about him here. Quite a story;

I always like to root for fighters from our daft little island, especially when going up against the usually far superior USA! USA! USA! and so forth, but outside of the Scottish two (Craig and Calderwood) it's been slim pickings.

I can get behind Mokaev, especially if he's a real prospect.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

ahh thats good to see, Mokaev has been seen as one of the top prospects in the sport for a while. Hope he isnt making that leap too early though.

I know it’s not quite the same as the pro game but he’s on a 22 fight winning streak in the amateurs as well as his 6 pro wins. Competes in various wresting and grappling competitions as well from what I’ve seen. So he’s been gaining experience for more than his pro career suggests. But yeah, whether he’s ready for the big leagues remains to be seen. I’m sure he’ll be matched up reasonably at first anyway. 7 pro fights and 21 years old, he’s a kid. No need to rush him. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, David said:

I always like to root for fighters from our daft little island, especially when going up against the usually far superior USA! USA! USA! and so forth, but outside of the Scottish two (Craig and Calderwood) it's been slim pickings.

I'd have thought Leon Edwards would be the first off the top of your head? I'm sure there are others, but also Aspinall and Mason Jones spring to mind.

That said, two of those get cancelled out by shite like Pimblett and Till.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I'd have thought Leon Edwards would be the first off the top of your head? I'm sure there are others, but also Aspinall and Mason Jones spring to mind.

That said, two of those get cancelled out by shite like Pimblett and Till.

Yeah, Edwards is in there I guess, although the fact I forgot him maybe says it all! I'm hoping Makaev could be a real contender.