The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

It is. Then you look into early next year and 270 is currently scheduled to have Ngannou vs Gane, Moreno vs Figgy 3 and Brunson vs Cannonier. And 271 is being targeted for Adesanya vs Whittaker 2. Loads of brilliant fights on the Fight Nights between now and the end of the year as well. Stuff like Michael Chiesa vs Sean Brady, Adrian Yanez vs Davey Grant, Brad Riddell vs Rafael Fiziev, Matt Brown vs Bryan Barberena. And none of them are even main events. 

Interesting comments by JDS on a recent podcast talking about the latter stages of his time with the UFC:

“They were really unprofessional, let’s put it this way, with the way they treated [me], like they [treat] everybody else. I wasn’t the first and won’t be the last. The last two fights I got were on those terms, ‘You take it or you’re out.’”

“I was always a nice guy because that’s how I like to be, I like being nice to people so people are nice to me. I learned to be that way in life, to never expect from others something I don’t give them. I was always a nice guy, treating everybody well, always smiling, and in a way they took advantage of it, or treated it as a weakness, kind of putting me down, I don’t know. They tried to take the most advantage they could of the athlete I built, of Junior ‘Cigano,’ especially the way the last fight was, something really odd.

“The money I made to live came from my sponsors. The money I made in fights, I normally spent it all in my camps because I brought people from outside to help me and paid their costs there [in Brazil] with cars and a house. I gave them a good structure with my fight purses. Monthly, whatever happened, the [sponsorship] money was in my account. It was extremely important for me and, in my case, [the Reebok deal] was a big hit. It put us all on the same level. Even though some fighters had contracts with Reebok or Monster, it was more of a symbolic deal, it wasn’t that good.”

“you sign an eight-fight contract and [they will] do whatever [they] want with you.” “That’s what happens in the UFC and these promotions. “That locks up the athletes, [losing] great possibilities to negotiate, and they do what they want. The UFC has the safety to keep you locked for eight fights. Now, you lose the first one and they can let you go if they want, there’s no safety [for the athlete]. It’s different in boxing, you negotiate fight after fight, contracts and pay. My case in the UFC, for example, I fought seven times before [fighting for] the belt. I was making the same amount of money stated in my contract.”

“Do you think a guy that is about to fight for the world title in boxing would make the same thing written in his contract he signed way back then? Of course not. For a title fight, even as the challenger, I would’ve gotten an excellent purse because it’s made to be this way, you negotiate contract after contract.”

“There’s nothing helping athletes. Legally, we have no structure in MMA like boxing has with this law. … That’s very important for fighter’s protection because right now things happen the way [MMA promoters] want. They do as they will. If it worked, great. If not, they kick you out, they move you aside, lower your pay, do this or that. I think it would be very important if they would finally bring the Ali Act to MMA and make it all more clear and protect fighters more, with better contracts and a foundation to defend the athletes.”

All very valid, but what annoys the fuck out of me is that we only see people speaking up about this once they've left the company and become irrelevant. Speak up when you hold the title, when you have more sway and the fanbase is more interested in what you're saying.

Sadly, his words now will be dismissed as those of someone bitter about being let go, or someone who's "just a fake wrestler."

Edited by David

• Paid Members

It's such a shitty situation. Ngannou was on with Helwani this week and he also talked about these things and voiced his agitation about not feeling respected or valued. We've seen what the UFC were willing to do to him despite him being fairly high on the pecking order. 

Nothing is gonna change without unionisation. 

• Paid Members

Obviously you can never read too much into Nate’s tweets but…

I’d be well up for that. I’m sure the feeling would be that Ferguson is washed up and gets smoked but I’m not so sure. I definitely think his days of being a title threat are over but I think a lot of people have been a bit quick to declare him shot based off losses to Oliveira and Dariush, who are both at the top of their game right now. And it’s not like Nate’s on fire himself. They’re kind of in the same spot in their careers and I think that could make a matchup between them now even more fun. Kind of like when Chuck vs Wanderlei finally happened, or Couture vs Nogueira. Fading names who feel like they have something to prove can be a recipe for something special if the timing and styles are also right. And I think this one ticks all the boxes. 

• 2 weeks later...

He's been vocal about wanting a slow build but even with that in mind this is a bit of a head scratcher.

Hes 3-0 at #8 and now fighting a guy coming off two losses? If he's gonna fight people ranked lower then I would have preferred something fun like Tuivasa.*

*Scratch that. Just checked and Tuivasa, Hardy, Sakai, Daukaus, Olinyk etc. all have bookings. Not a lot else out there at HW.

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

• Paid Members

anyone caught this? Triller have changed pace and tried the approach combat sports from a different angle. Different ring, different ruleset, Boxers vs. MMA fighters. Apparently the first main event will be Vitor Belfort vs. Kubrat Pulev.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2021/11/4/22763689/triller-announces-triad-combat-event-pitting-mma-fighters-vs-boxers-mike-perry-frank-mir-metallica

I like the sound of this.