The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

This is bonkers.

Not a fan of the weird hybrid rules fights. They’re often just a confusing mess that doesn’t really answer much either way. 

There was that awesome fight where Shinya Aoki broke every rule in the book to shithouse his way through the kickboxing bit. Then ate a fucking brutal flying knee in the MMA round as soon as it started and was KO'd. That was hilarious, so they will alway be a soft spot for me.

• Paid Members

Seems like the right time for Benavidez to retire. Great fighter but unfortunately for him there was just always that one guy in his division who was a little bit better. Whether it was Dominick Cruz in the WEC days, Demetrious Johnson when he dropped to Flyweight in the UFC, or most recently Deiveson Figueiredo. All of them went 2-0 over him and locked him out of the title picture for big chunks of his career. But he beat pretty much everyone else below that elite level. I think I commented after his last fight with Askarov, that he just looked lost at points, like even he was thinking he didn’t have it anymore. Didn’t embarrass himself by any means but you could see he just couldn’t quite hang anymore. Especially with how strong the Flyweight and Bantamweight divisions are now. If he couldn’t get over the last hurdle and win the big one when he was in his prime and those divisions were still developing, he’s got zero chance now at 37 and with those divisions being better and deeper than they’ve ever been before.

He had a good old run though. First thing I always think about when I think of Benavidez is his win over Miguel Torres in WEC for some reason. Torres had already had the shock loss to Brian Bowles at that point but Benavidez’s win felt like a proper changing of the guard moment and was the first time he really got on my radar. 

• Paid Members

Sounds weird because I’m a big fan of both and I’ve really enjoyed their first two fights, but I’m a bit disappointed in that. Don’t get me wrong it’ll be a good fight and I’ll be into it by the time it rolls around but after watching them fight each other twice in about 6 months, I was really hoping to see them both matched up with someone else next. It seemed like everything was indicating towards Moreno vs Pantoja but apparently Pantoja is hurt and won’t be ready in time. The other one I wanted to see was Moreno vs Askarov but I’m sure I read that Askarov is injured as well. So given the circumstances I totally get it. But it’s not ideal having them fight three times in a row. And with the first fight being a draw, a Figgy win this time would likely lead to a fourth fight as a tie breaker. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Another retirement that’s been on the cards for a while.

One of my favourite fighters to watch at his best. If you’ve never seen it and you’ve got Fight Pass, get the Hiromitsu Miura fight from WEC 35 watched immediately. And the war with Robbie Lawler obviously. And the Rory MacDonald fight. And the Martin Kampmann fights. And the Jake Ellenberger fight. The Stun Gun KO. The Dan Hardy KO. Condit was awesome. 

A096635E-C8BA-4204-B1FA-9F0473F52F6D.gif

• Paid Members

There’s few things you can count on in MMA. Jon Jones fucking up, Conor McGregor being an embarrassment and Yair Rodriguez fights getting cancelled.

Lets see how long this one takes.

Really, really, really hope I’m wrong. I was looking forward to this when it was originally booked for July. Let’s hope it somehow stays intact this time but I’m never confident in it where Yair’s concerned. I remember Dana saying weeks ago, maybe months ago, that this fight was being targeted to headline this card. The fact it’s taken so long to be made official since then is a red flag already and doesn’t fill me with confidence that this actually happens. Like I said, I hope I’m wrong. Works out nicely if they do have the winner against the winner of Volkanovski vs Ortega as well. And why not throw Zombie vs Chikadze in the mix while we’re at it? 

• Paid Members

Don’t know how legit this is but I’ve been seeing talk of this fight pop up a lot over the past few days.

Great fight if true. Sure I saw Andre Pederneiras even say he’s expecting Aldo’s next opponent to be Font in December so it checks out. 

• Paid Members

we've seen him get knocked out, maybe now we'll see him get choked out:

oh and this doozy:

Seeing alot of love for Brunson recently. Got a nice little pop at 266 too, think people are finally coming around to him.

Edited by Egg Shen

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Seeing alot of love for Brunson recently. Got a nice little pop at 266 too, think people are finally coming around to him.

A win over Till in the fashion he got it helped put him on the radar of fans I think. Till, for all his negatives, is still a name.