The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

@jimufctna24 would be all over this.

Exciting times. Great fights for him wherever he ends up but I hope it’s either the UFC return or Bellator just because they’re the only two promotions I follow regularly and I’m a selfish bastard. Plus, a fighter as good as Horiguchi really should be in one of those two promotions. Nothing against PFL or ONE or Rizin but it’s just not the same. 

• Paid Members

Well he wasn’t a free agent for long.

Coker don’t fuck about. Wonder if the UFC even bothered trying to get him. Sounds mad I know but the way they are now they probably offered him one of their $10k to show/$10 to win contracts or a spot on the Contender Series to ‘prove himself’. Still, at least he’s gone to a place where we can watch him easily. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I had a feeling he was leaning towards signing with Bellator yesterday when I posted that original tweet. The article linked in there had a quote from Horiguchi saying he was interested in fighting Sergio Pettis and getting his belt back. Coker’s making good moves with his signings. The Bellator roster now is better than it’s ever been and he’s loading up on a lot of guys for the future as well. It got drowned out by the Horiguchi signing, understandably, but I saw this yesterday as well;

Never seen him fight but reaction seems very positive on the signing. His brother Khusein is also supposed to be one to watch, 20-0 and apparently going to fight on DWCS (if he hasn’t already?) as well. 

• Paid Members

Glad to see Horiguchi went with somewhere that we can see his fights, and that they are against a high level of competition. He's incredible.

Wouldn't have blamed him for going to PFL if it was an option though. If you're a prospect, Bellator are great at developing you and bringing your career along much better than the UFC are going to have an interest in doing. 

If you're top of the heap at your weight class though, like a Horiguchi, PFL is bound to be attractive. Probably fairly decent fight purses, plus someone of that quality is going to highly back themselves to win the additional $1,000,000 cheque at the end. 

Think how much the UFC or Bellator would have to fork out to even get Kayla Harrison to take their phone call. They would never entertain that amount of money as a guarantee. Take it while it's there, if it's there. 

Of course the same rule doesn't apply to an Anthony Pettis, Rory McDonald or Fabricio Werdum, all who (despite most of us probably expecting something more from them in PFL than they were able to do) are past their prime and discovered that the competition level of the 3rd or 4th biggest company is still a significant quality in this day and age. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

This is bonkers.

Not a fan of the weird hybrid rules fights. They’re often just a confusing mess that doesn’t really answer much either way. Cro Cop vs Wanderlei 1 springs to mind. But I’d be lying if I said I won’t be all over watching this. If you’re unfamiliar with Rodtang, this is him…

24 years old with a Muay Thai record of, wait for it…267-42-10. Mad little bastard. The fact it’s gonna start with a Muay Thai rules round could be bad news for Mighty Mouse. I mean, he’s awesome and he’s never gonna be easy to put away in a round but I wonder how much damage Rodtang can inflict in that opening few minutes and how it might effect the MMA round that’ll follow it. Weird one but I’m mega intrigued.

Apparently Chatri Sityodtong also confirmed that Bibiano Fernandes vs John Lineker and Garry Tonon vs Thanh Le will be on that same card. December 5th. Bananas.

I don’t keep up with ONE that much outside of when a DJ, Eddie Alvarez or Lineker fighting but every now and then they’ll bang out a mad card like this that I have to check out.