The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

It won’t be UFC London. Can’t see Diaz vs Lawler 2 only being co-main on a Fight Night. More likely it’ll land on 266 which currently has Volkanovski vs Ortega headlining.

Edit - also, the timing of this is so fitting.

EB441B1F-2A8C-4369-922C-B52748ABD8D1.jpeg

2D9681F3-1187-4688-8F23-7297A0A66B7C.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah that’s more like it. I get why people were excited about him but some of the talk was crazy with people calling for title shots and the UFC even booking the Leon Edwards fight. I was looking forward to that all the same but it’s probably a good thing it fell through 47 times. This is a tough test, Jingliang is no pushover, especially for a guy coming off a near year long layoff and a rough battle with COVID. But this is definitely a more logical next step for Chimaev. 

• Paid Members

Definitely a more logical step, but you cant blame the UFC for riding that wave when he came in last year. Chimaev was the hottest thing in the sport for a minute. I just hope the covid hasnt taken anything out of him. 

• Paid Members

Was really hoping for Pimblett vs Bryce Mitchell after I got the idea of that fight in my head but this is alright. First fight in and all that. Can’t stand the little twat though. At least he won’t be able to continue the MMA blasphemy of wearing the Sakuraba shorts in the UFC though. A silver lining to the UFC uniform thing.

Marina Rodriguez vs Mackenzie Dern is headlining a Fight Night in October.

I know the women’s headliners usually get shat on but I’m not mad at this one. It’s not the same as a declining Holm or Waterson getting main event slot after main event slot no matter how many they lose. These two are on good form and they’ve been fun to watch recently. Rodriguez is coming off that knockout over Amanda Ribas in a fight that she wasn’t expected to win and then a clear 5 round thumping over Waterson in a fight she took on a few days notice. And Dern’s been class since she came back from having her baby and finally got the weight cut down. It’s an interesting fight with the clash of styles and I think they’ve both earned a bit of spotlight with their recent performances.

Amanda Ribas is fighting Virna Jandiroba the same month at UFC 267 as well. Another potential belter there and one I’m gonna be torn on. I want Ribas to get back in the win column but I’ve quickly became a big fan of Jandiroba as well. She’s great to watch.

C2DBBC8A-F5CA-4A9A-BBFC-9A73B1E54A08.gif

Strawweight’s in good nick at the minute. I’m guessing we’ll be getting Namajunas vs Esparza 2 for the strap next. Not the most mouth watering fight but it’s got kind of a cool backstory. I reckon that Rodriguez vs Dern fight will end up deciding the next in line after that. Then there’ll be Weili Zhang trying to rebound and Joanna Jedrzejczyk if the swelling’s gone down on her head from last year yet. Tatiana Suarez is returning as well and she would’ve been a really interesting addition to this mix but I think she’s coming back as a Bantam, which is good for that division. It’s all go. 

• Paid Members

Is anyone in touch with @jimufctna24 away from here? Thought it was unlike him to not pop up on a big fight week like this so I just looked at his profile and noticed he hasn’t been on since the 22nd June. Tried to message him but his inbox must be full. Hopefully he’s just busy studying his beloved Horiguchi and Nemkov footage and everything’s good.