The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Here’s the Gaethje tweet.

Hoping there’ll be a fight announcement for him soon. Can’t believe it’s been 8 months since the Khabib fight already. Gaethje vs Chandler, Hooker or even Nate would do very nicely. 

• Paid Members

whilst im sure Gaethje would take it in a heartbeat, Nate Diaz doesnt want that fight, a leg kicking machine with heavy punching power and a wrestling background? just Nate Diaz worst nightmare.

They have to go with Gaethje/Chandler. 

I wanna see Hooker take abit of a step back and take a fight that wont be so physically damaging. That guys been through the ringer. Hooker vs. Ferguson? sounds mental to say a fight with Ferguson would be less damaging but at this point it probably would be.

• Paid Members

I don’t know. Fergie’s clearly on the decline but Hooker’s a completely different style to Oliveira and Dariush. That fight would tell us a lot about what Ferguson’s got left actually because Hooker’s got that style that Ferguson usually did well against. If Hooker put a beating on him then it’d probably be a good indication that Ferguson’s really on the way out. Hooker might just be tougher at this stage. Got a feeling that Gaethje fight beat a lot of it out of Tony.

I hear you on Gaethje vs Diaz but, call me an evil sadistic bastard, I still wanna see it! Most of the top guys at 155 and 170 are nightmare styles for Nate at this point so he’s not likely looking at many wins in the future anyway. I can see him just hanging back for a McGregor trilogy if McGregor loses to Poirier again. Or maybe a Masvidal rematch or something. People forget but there was talk of Masvidal vs Diaz 2 last year before Masvidal got the first Usman fight on late notice. 

• Paid Members

This is going to sound completely a propos of nothing, but I was wondering what was going on with Marc Diakiese? I remember when he first arrived, he was undefeated and everyone seemed big on him. He's lost 4 since joining the UFC, but he's always been an exciting fighter, and has only been finished once. It's been a year since he last fought. 

EDIT: Posted before I finished. Meant to say that, if they're having trouble pairing up Gaethje, I'd be up for a match between him and Diakiese, would be fun.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

That would be a fun one but it’s very unlikely to happen. I like Diakiese but Gaethje’s just been mixing at the highest level, I don’t think he’s facing anyone but top ranked guys from now on. If there’s been trouble getting him a fight booked it’s probably just been a timing thing. Pretty much everyone was paired up until recently. He’s said that the UFC were offering him fights but, according to him, they were springing them on him and he’s been vocal about liking to have the proper prep time which is fair enough. If you remember, there was a lot of talk of it being him vs Chandler in January before they settled on Hooker vs Chandler. I think Gaethje was the first choice there but wanted longer to train. Think he said they offered him someone else in February as well but asked him with about 2 weeks to go and he said no. I think now we’ve got Chandler and Hooker lurking without fights booked, it’s just a matter of time until one of them gets paired off with Gaethje.

That 265 card is starting to take shape nicely as well. Nunes vs Pena, Aldo vs Munhoz, Luque vs Chiesa, Song Yadong vs Casey Kenney got added recently as well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see another title fight added yet though. Possibly Ngannou vs Lewis 2. Sure they were targeting August for that. 

• Paid Members

I wasn't just thinking in terms of Gaethje, though - was thinking Diakiese has potentially a lot of matchups that might spell fun for the fans. He's still 28, which would seem a bit early to be done.

• Paid Members

Yeah sorry I just realised I never even answered you about Diakiese! I don’t really know what’s going on with him. He’s another one of those fighters who’s floundering results-wise but then you watch him and wonder why. He’s clearly got skills and he had that crazy highlight reel knockout against Teemu Packalen early into his run…

AA517A62-6CD6-4CCE-8BDC-B28D1A9D0AD9.gif

Just hasn’t panned out since. He’s had some decent wins and the guys who’ve beat him are all good as well. Again, it just speaks to the depth of the Lightweight division. There’s so many good fighters toiling away in the middle of the pack who are never gonna get a sniff of a title shot in the UFC, much less an actual reign as champion. It’s what makes Charles Oliveira’s rise even more impressive. To survive so long in those shark infested waters, let alone flourish, is really something. Granted, he benefitted massively from Khabib walking away when he did, they all have. But to go on any kind of long streak in a division like 155 is almost impossible because there’s so many killers throughout. Guys like Diakiese, Fiziev, Dober, Riddell etc probably win titles in a lot of promotions. They just can’t get a look in with how stacked the UFC’s 155 roster is and most of them will spend their best years trading wins and losses stuck at a certain level and then decline before they can ever reach the top.

Gone off on a tangent but I’d expect Diakiese will end up on the rumoured London card on September 4th now. Along with Tom Aspinall, Lerone Murphy, maybe Mason Jones and I’m guessing the UFC debut of Paddy Pimblett.  

Edited by wandshogun09

yeah its a weird one now with nate because thanks to that last 30 seconds of the fight he has come out of it all miles better than Edward's has with the victory which doesn't happen that often. 

I genuinely love the idea of Diaz vs McGregor 3 or the rematch with jorge now he is sort of left in limbo after the usman knock out.

also has everyone seen the fallout Leon has got from the likes of Colby and such. they make a good point too. he hasn't exactly come out looking a million dollars poor lad 

• Paid Members

Was the loss to big Jan Blachowicz the last time that Rockhold fought? How long ago was that? Feels like right about two years ago now. I don't expect much out of any Luke Rockhold return really, if it's against a ranked fighter. Rockhold Vs Diaz at 185, I would watch though. Not sure I'd want to spunk the potential one fight that either has left, up the wall in one go though. It'll always be nice to see Handsome Luke get a pasting and I'm not sure Diaz would have the tools to do that at this point. Edge a decision? Yeah, maybe.