The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeh, if Diaz could come in, beat someone then set up a Chimaev fight it would work too. I just think you could do it right off the bat.Ā 

Its like Nate Diaz fighting Leon Edwards. He doesnt really deserve that, but the Diaz' Brothers always get preferential treatment, they play by their own rules, but you can never accuse of them of taking easy fights.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Moderators

Seems like classic MMA stuff to me, Diaz shouldn't really stand a chance in this, but that won't stop people going on and on about "You can't count Nick out"/punchers chance bollocks.

Now that I've said that watch him totally takeĀ Chimaev apart in a clinical lopsided victory.

23 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

The difference is, Diaz is still a PPV draw. You stick Nick Diaz on a PPV show he's gonna generate buys.

Based on? He's not fought in six years, and when he did he was main eventing with Anderson, and before that, GSP. The two events before that, against Condit and BJ Penn where Diaz was the main attraction they sold 400,000 and 280,000 PPVs respectively.

Will fans even know who he is? I'm actually of the belief that a lot of casuals will probably think he's the guy who beat McGregor a while back!

• Paid Members

not really based on anything really other than seeing how much buzz any kind of Diaz sighting/activityĀ drums up, the Diaz Brothers stir up more interest than 99% of the other fighters in the sport.Ā 

Id still wager that if Nick gets active he'll be amongst the top 10 drawing fighters in the UFC. I may be wrong?

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

that also puts any ideas of a Diaz/Lawler, Diaz/Cerrone fight to bed too. Diaz is clearly coming back for a huge fight.

They'll probably ending up putting him in with UsmanšŸ˜•

• Paid Members

Good.*

In other news, this is a killer fight. Two of the better prospects and most exciting new blood Bantamweights on the roster right now squaring off.

The Reeseā€™s vs Dr Pepper thing there is like the #EatClean version of that Proper 12 vs Budweiser shite when McGregor fought Cerrone. Both men have quite a sweet tooth apparently. Itā€™s a cracking fight though. And it seems itā€™s came about almost entirely because of social media. Both men respectfully offered to fight each other on Twitter then fans kept tweeting and retweeting about it and here we are. Thereā€™s going to have to be something pretty special added to this July 24 card to top this as my one to watch.Ā 
Ā 

* Thatā€™s good that theyā€™re not throwing him atĀ Chimaev. Not good in response to Ebb saying heā€™ll probably get fed to Usman šŸ˜‚

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

This Diego Sanchez drama isnā€™t going away anytime soon by the looks ofĀ it.Ā 

And more. Now heĀ thinks the UFC are gonna put a hit out on him.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• 3 weeks later...