The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

The other thing to bear in mind is that Diaz is from that previous generation of MMA fighters - even by the time he'd got to the UFC, the game had pretty much left him behind. Nate seemed to adapt to the times a bit better, but Nick actually seemed determined not to evolve.

• Paid Members

No-one’s expecting a title run. You’re not revealing anything we didn’t already know. He’s way past it and I’ve said a load of times over the last couple of years that he’s probably best off staying out of the cage. If he’s coming back though (and I still have doubts it actually happens), I don’t think there’s many who have any interest in him facing someone like Chimaev. If he’s gonna fight again it should be an attraction type fight against another name from his era. He’s got no business in there with active young beasts, in my opinion. I get the logic of giving Chimaev ‘the rub’ but bollocks to that. There’s plenty of fights to put Chimaev in that he’d gain something from winning without sending Diaz to the slaughter.

Also, how has Dana White gone from this in January...

C72-B28-C4-FB25-41-CF-BB30-F186-DA7-A80-

65-B0886-A-99-C5-4-B3-D-B20-F-C9349-B015

To this in April?...

C474-E773-9050-4-CE2-96-A4-B4015-F50-E4-

I know it’s Dana and it’s never a surprised when he contradicts himself, but fuck me. From dead against a return to wanting to feed him to Khamzat Chimaev is a jump even for him.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

No-one’s expecting a title run. You’re not revealing anything we didn’t already know. He’s way past it and I’ve said a load of times over the last couple of years that he’s probably best off staying out of the cage. If he’s coming back though (and I still have doubts it actually happens), I don’t think there’s many who have any interest in him facing someone like Chimaev. If he’s gonna fight again it should be an attraction type fight against another name 

The difference is, Diaz is still a PPV draw. You stick Nick Diaz on a PPV show he's gonna generate buys. The old guard like Condit, Lawler and Cerrone aint in that kind of mix anymore. They are Fight Night mainstays nowadays. Diaz/Chimaev is a fight that will generate massive interest on PPV. We aint gonna agree o this are we? 😄

Also, id imagine Nick Diaz is the kind of guy who would wanna come back and fight someone on the rise or near the top. I cant imagine a fight against someone like Lawler whos lost his last 4 is gonna do anything for him.

• Paid Members

I don’t even think we can say he’s still a big PPV draw. He hasn’t fought in forever. Granted he still probably pulls more buys than a fair chunk of the roster but I don’t think we can just assume he does monster numbers. And even if he does, my point still stands. You don’t need to feed him to Chimaev to get those buys. Chimaev isn’t a proven draw and there’s no evidence to suggest he makes more of a difference to the buys opposite Diaz than a fading name would. And then by having Chimaev annihilate him, you’ve killed that draw because Diaz almost certainly fucks off again then. I mean, he probably fucks off anyway but I think he’s more likely to stick around if he can at least get one win or be competitive. Chimaev probably ruins him and that’ll be that. I’m just not that into it. I’d rather see Chimaev get a ranked guy. Bashing up 2021 Nick Diaz leaves us none the wiser on how good he really is. 

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

The other thing to bear in mind is that Diaz is from that previous generation of MMA fighters - even by the time he'd got to the UFC, the game had pretty much left him behind. Nate seemed to adapt to the times a bit better, but Nick actually seemed determined not to evolve.

Do you mean his second run in the UFC?

I've always been a fan of Nick's. He's a tosser, but quite a likeable tosser. However, the success he had between 2007 and 2011 was a product of clever match making. Elite XC, Dream and Strikeforce mostly matched him against fighters who weren't going to grapple with him. 

So it wasn't that the game all of a sudden passed him by when he returned to the UFC. It was more that he had a built up an aura elsewhere through favourable match-ups. Even the UFC kept him away from grapplers for the most part, instead booking him against Condit, Penn and Anderson Silva. He struggled throughout his career against those who can take him down and control him (Sean Sherk, GSP, etc)

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah, he had fits with Sanchez and Parisyan too. Great fights to watch but didn’t go Diaz’s way. It’s mad really because when he entered the UFC he was thought of as just a grappler, yet the bulk of his losses came about through guys outgrappling him and most of his wins that people remember came via his striking.

And again, what’s Chimaev’s bread and butter? Takedowns, suffocating top control, heavy ground and pound, misery. If young/prime Diaz had serious issues dealing with that style, he’ll get eaten alive now. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Do you mean his second run in the UFC?

I've always been a fan of Nick's. He's a tosser, but quite a likeable tosser. However, the success he had between 2007 and 2011 was a product of clever match making. Elite XC, Dream and Strikeforce mostly matched him against fighters who weren't going to grapple with him. 

So it wasn't that the game all of a sudden passed him by when he returned to the UFC. It was more that he had a built up an aura elsewhere through favourable match-ups. Even the UFC kept him away from grapplers for the most part, instead booking him against Condit, Penn and Anderson Silva. He struggled throughout his career against those who can take him down and control him (Sean Sherk, GSP, etc)

Sorry, meant his second run, but yeh - fair point about the favourable matchmaking, but I guess that kind of supplements the point about his refusal to evolve: he had matchmakers who were prepared to cater to that and never force him to improve his game. Given his striking style, just imagine how much more successful he could've been if he'd just developed some defensive wrestling. Not saying he'd have been elite even after that, but pretty sure he'd have more wins and fewer losses by now.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I don’t even think we can say he’s still a big PPV draw. He hasn’t fought in forever. Granted he still probably pulls more buys than a fair chunk of the roster but I don’t think we can just assume he does monster numbers. And even if he does, my point still stands. You don’t need to feed him to Chimaev to get those buys. Chimaev isn’t a proven draw 

You put Chimaev into a Diaz fight though, the build up would be edgey, the spotlight would be on them and it could potentially headline its own PPV, co-main at the least. Those two personalities together is absolute fireworks. 

The only other fight id really wanna see Diaz have is the Masvidal fight.

Outside of that, matching him up with Robbie Lawler or Carlos Condit just feels like a waste of Nick Diaz, its Bellator matchmaking. A few years ago id have been all over it but there's just better options available now.

Just a reminder that a massive part of the Diaz brothers' charm is getting grapplefucked for 3 rounds then moaning afterwards that their opponent didn't come to fight. 

2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

its Bellator matchmaking.

Nah, Bellator would probably book Diaz against some jobber that nobody has even heard of. 

• Paid Members
Just now, jimufctna24 said:

Just a reminder that a massive part of the Diaz brothers' charm is getting grapplefucked for 3 rounds then moaning afterwards that their opponent didn't come to fight. 

Nick has never lost a fight in his head

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Sorry, meant his second run, but yeh - fair point about the favourable matchmaking, but I guess that kind of supplements the point about his refusal to evolve: he had matchmakers who were prepared to cater to that and never force him to improve his game. Given his striking style, just imagine how much more successful he could've been if he'd just developed some defensive wrestling. Not saying he'd have been elite even after that, but pretty sure he'd have more wins and fewer losses by now.

Yeah he definitely never evolved. Whenever he’d lose he’d just blame it on the judges or the opponent not fighting him the way he wanted them to or some shite so he never addressed his weaknesses and just went the denial route. I’ve loved watching him over the years but that bollocks got old quick for me. 

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

You put Chimaev into a Diaz fight though, the build up would be edgey, the spotlight would be on them and it could potentially headline its own PPV, co-main at the least. Those two personalities together is absolute fireworks. 

What personality has Chimaev shown other than saying ‘SMESH’ all the time though? Not having it Ebb. 

B9D0E5A5-3270-4AFB-8770-C7626919B546.jpeg

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Nick has never lost a fight in his head

It seems like there’s a lot of fights going on in that head as well. Fucking Royal Rumble up there. 

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Was it you who had that sig back in the day, @wandshogun09, with a quote of some fighter saying "You want with belt? Come fight at me. I am destroy you" or something like that?

Doesn’t ring a bell. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

What personality has Chimaev shown other than saying ‘SMESH’ all the time though? Not having it Ebb. 

i dont mean personality from a standpoint that Chimaev will be going out and charming the media with his wit or anything like that 😄 I just mean you set them up to fight and stick him and Nick Diaz in a room together and some shit is gonna happen. I just love  a feud, and i think that has the makings of being a good one.

• Paid Members

I think the build to a Diaz Chimaev fight would be pretty great. Khamzat talks a load of shit and you know Diaz would bite but the actual fight itself seems one way traffic and I'm not fussed. 

Bollocks to it. Let him Box Jake Paul.