The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Yeah I think Zombie should beat Ige but it’s one of those fights that you just know will be chaos however long it lasts. Even if it turns out to be a KZ squash/showcase, it’ll be a fun one.

While we’re on the subject of fight announcements, Demian Maia vs Belal Muhammad has been added to 263 in June. That’s the card with the Figgy vs Moreno 2 headliner. Could be a tricky one for Belal, even a 42 year old Maia is no picnic. But I like that they’ve given him another big name. He didn’t get what he wanted with the Edwards rematch but this is still a nice opportunity and, if he can pull off a win it’ll be the biggest of his career to date. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So after 6 years away it finally looks like a Nick Diaz return is on the cards and what does the UFC want to do? A Robbie Lawler rematch? A Carlos Condit rematch? A fight with Jorge Masvidal to avenge little bro Nate? No. Khamzat Bastard Chimaev.

608E1648-A03C-4E7D-9BB2-99962E2E8BD1.gif

• Paid Members

Sort of makes sense, after a fashion. They want to wring out the last vestiges of his "needle-moving", so they'd rather give it to a guy on his way up, rather than waste it on a one-shot with Masvidal, who'd probably beat him, or Lawler or Condit, whose best days are behind them.

From a marketing point of view, it's not too bad an idea. From a fan's perspective, it's fucking keech.

• Paid Members

Yeah I get why they’re interested in it. I don’t have a big problem with it if it ends up getting booked. But I’d kind of hoped that a) they wouldn’t just throw Diaz straight to the wolves immediately, b) they’d match him up with someone else relatively late in their career given that he’s been inactive 6 years and c) I was hoping to see Chimaev get put to the test by one of the top guys next. Considering we were supposed to get him vs Leon Edwards I expected him to be thrown at a top ranked guy. I know they’re mostly all booked now but something like Chimaev vs Chiesa would’ve been good. I get that he gains more from a win over a name like Diaz but it’s not as interesting a fight to me given the layoff and where they both are in their respective careers. And I don’t even know how much of today’s UFC fanbase even watched when Nick was fighting so the supposed gains for Chimaev might be inflated anyway. To a lot of the current fans, Nate’s probably a bigger star than Nick and that’s understandable after those big fights with McGregor.

I don’t know. I don’t hate it but I don’t like it that much either. And I’m not sure Nick even takes this fight. He’s been mega choosy when it’s come to fights he’d be up for returning for over the years. We’ve literally only seen him against GSP and Anderson Silva in the last 8 years. I’m not sure he’ll fancy coming back if all they’re offering is a fight where the up and comer stands to gain everything off his name and if he wins it’ll just get chalked up as ‘LOL Chimaev’s shite, Diaz beat him after 6 years off’ or whatever. Dana’s been offering Diaz fights on and off for years, Diaz finally shows interest in a comeback and they try to make a fight he probably doesn’t accept. Ah fuck it. Who knows with Diaz. Maybe he loves this matchup. Or maybe he just disappears in a big cloud of weed smoke for years again. 

14C96D77-6914-4EE4-B534-787ECDF3AE64.gif

• Paid Members

That wife-beating sack of shit Perry doesn't deserve the extra cash that match would bring, though. 

wand's right in that the best matches to make are Lawler, Condit, or Masvidal. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Ponzinibbio either, but that's really unlikely to happen.

• Paid Members

i quite like it 🤷🏻‍♂️ there's something about Chimaev's personality meshing with the Diaz' brothers that appeals to me, it could spark abit of a 2-3 fight rivalry too. Fightwise it could be bad for Diaz, but theres worse places for him to be than on his back against a guy like Chimaev.