The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Suppose they could emulate the boxing system, whereby less experienced fighters would only be "2-rounders", and top 5 or top 10 title contenders would be "5-rounders"?

2 rounds doesn't really work with the scoring system though. We'd have so many Draws. Even if you added a TUF style '3rd round if necessary' rule you'd still have to time the broadcast including a potential 3rd round just incase, so you're not better off that way really either. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

2 rounds doesn't really work with the scoring system though. We'd have so many Draws. Even if you added a TUF style '3rd round if necessary' rule you'd still have to time the broadcast including a potential 3rd round just incase, so you're not better off that way really either. 

Maybe 1-3-5?

• Paid Members

1 round sounds like an exhibition and doesn't really give any fighter time to do much of anything or change anything either. I could see a lot of gamesmanship where it would be a race to get the takedown and steal it with control. Seems a waste of time for everyone. 

Not really sure if the UFC can just start changing it up to such a degree anyways. Whoever governs the unified rules and the various state athletic commissions surely would have a say in the matter. 

If they're gonna add a 5 round Co main where needed, simple answer is to just put one less fight on the card.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I could see it being simply that it's five rounds in case something happens to the main event, leading to it not taking place. Then you have Diaz carrying the bill in a main event, having already negotiated them going five rounds, rather than trying to do it at the last minute. 

• Paid Members

To me it’s just another delay to a fight that’s already been pushed back. We were meant to have seen this last week FFS. I was hoping they might be able to quickly reschedule it for one of the upcoming cards. Now we’re at least 3 months away again. 

• Paid Members

Haven’t seen them posted but these fights have all been announced and/or confirmed over the last few days.

• Korean Zombie vs Dan Ige (UFC Fight Night - Jun 19) 

• Ciryl Gane vs Alexander Volkov (UFC Fight Night - Jun 26) 

• Dustin Poirier vs Conor McGregor 3 (UFC 264 - Jul 10)

• Gilbert Burns vs Wonderboy Thompson (UFC 264 - Jul 10) 

I’m all over all of them. Zombie vs Ige is pretty much guaranteed fireworks. Gane has another real test in Volkov. My bollocks are going to be up in my stomach during Poirier vs McGregor 3 but I hope Poirier ends the prick. And Burns vs Wonderboy is a great fight. Fair play to Burns as well, taking a tricky fight like that immediately after losing to Usman isn’t something many top contenders would do. 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Haven’t seen them posted but these fights have all been announced and/or confirmed over the last few days.

• Korean Zombie vs Dan Ige (UFC Fight Night - Jun 19) 

• Ciryl Gane vs Alexander Volkov (UFC Fight Night - Jun 26) 

• Dustin Poirier vs Conor McGregor 3 (UFC 264 - Jul 10)

• Gilbert Burns vs Wonderboy Thompson (UFC 264 - Jul 10) 

I’m all over all of them. Zombie vs Ige is pretty much guaranteed fireworks. Gane has another real test in Volkov. My bollocks are going to be up in my stomach during Poirier vs McGregor 3 but I hope Poirier ends the prick. And Burns vs Wonderboy is a great fight. Fair play to Burns as well, taking a tricky fight like that immediately after losing to Usman isn’t something many top contenders would do. 

Brilliant fights the lot of them. Personally I wouldn't have booked McGregor Vs Poirier again, but I think we know for sure that it's going to be an entertaining fight no matter how long it lasts. This hope it ends like the last one did. 

Burns Vs Thompson is just high level, good shit. I'm leaning towards Thompson there, but really I think it's a pick 'em. 

Gane and Volkov is interesting as Gane is very comfortable on the feet, diverse striking with plenty of patience. Yet Volkov is still the bigger man who can fight at length and looked as good as he has done in his last fight. Plus he has quite a large experience differential. Gane is rocketing up the rankings if he can beat Volkov here. 

I tend to think Dan Ige is not at the level that he has been booked at/is thought to be at. His best win is a split decision over Edson Barboza that I was shocked that he got the nod in. He lost handily to Calvin Kattar I thought. His quick KO over Gavin Tucker was vicious as hell though. I like Tucker, but he's also not at the level of the top guys at 145 (Volk, Holloway, Ortega, Zombie, Yair, Zabit, Kattar) and that's where I think Ige is. He'll have the beating of the guys looking to get into the top ten, but that's where he'll start to falter himself.

Having said that, maybe he's fighting Zombie at the exact right time. If the Ortega Vs Zombie fight had more to do with Zombie on the slide than Ortega on the rise, then Ige should capitalise and score a big W. If it was Ortega transcending to a new level, and Zombie still being the man he was before, then he beats Ige all day for me. Either way, it should be a cracker bell to bell.