The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

Go on Dustin!

Saw Derek Brunson tweet ‘I love that date’ about this card as well. He was after the Paulo Costa fight so maybe he’s got it. And Ryan Hall vs Ilia Topuria is already on that card. If we get those 3 fights on the same card I’ll be well happy. I know they don’t typically load up McGregor undercard because they don’t need to but they do usually stack the July PPV up. This is a great start. 

On 3/26/2021 at 8:51 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I like Aljo but this is a pretty weak attempt to get out of rematching Yan. 

Thing is, Sterling has a point. It was an intentional foul. But suspension or not, Yan gets a title shot whenever he's fighting next. That goes without saying.

• Paid Members

That’s cool. But Yan’s already been punished. He was rightly disqualified (so he’d have only got his show money/half a paycheque), rightly stripped of the title and Sterling was awarded it. Do defending champs still get PPV points as well? If so Yan’s lost that as well until he can reclaim the belt. Now Sterling wants him fined and suspended on top of that? I was pulling for Sterling and I think Yan’s a bit of a prick but Christ, should Yan get 20 lashes and be forced to watch the Best Of Jake Shields as well? Surely the best revenge would be to get Yan back in there and actually legitimately beat him. Erase all doubt, solidify himself as the proper champ and pick up some PPV coin in the process. The whole situation was Yan’s fault for throwing the knee and the things he lost as a result are his own doing, not disputing that. But how many forms of punishment are enough? 

• Paid Members

That's a damn surprise right there. 1) Diaz is back. 2) The five rounds in a co-main. 3) Leon Edwards. Not who I thought the UFC or Diaz's camp would have any interest in him fighting. 

Massive props to Diaz there. Leon is a tough opponent and will most likely smoke him, I assumed Diaz's next fight was going to be fighting a blown up light weight at 170lbs. Not the 3rd best Welterweight in the company.

Not sure I like the 5 round twist. Will this set a precedent going forward?

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Not sure I like the 5 round twist. Will this set a precedent going forward?

I hope they at least limit it to PPVs. Can you imagine some of the Fight Night co-mains we’ve had being stretched out to 5 rounds? I don’t need more Jessica Eye 5 rounders in my life.

But yeah, pleasantly surprised at Edwards vs Diaz. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Was gonna post that I think it's because they've probably exhausted most of their championship matches they can make recently that haven't been fucked by COVID, especially as Adesanya/Blachowicz means two of them are out for a while. Went to check on Wiki to see what the titles' most recent defences were, and found that someone's been at it:

image.thumb.png.9a1630473eef2d970326ad186a19e463.png

Whoever the fuck Griffin Aldrin is supposed to be.

Heavyweight's just been won by Big Fran. LHW and MW are out as above. Kamaru's set to defend late April, lightweight contendership's being sort-of decided on the card, Volko's out with COVID, Aljo's only just fought, Figgy/Moreno's apparently been scheduled for July, Nunes has just fought so that's two women's divisions out, Sheva's fighting on the same card as Kamaru, and Zhang has just fought.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

Make all fights five rounds and give us less of them on a card, cut away 50% of the absolute shite we are given on a weekly basis.

I like the idea of any fight involving a top 10 fighter being over five rounds. 

We've got so used to it only being main events, but for random non-title fights to be staged over 5 rounds make no sense (but i wouldnt change it) when the same fight would take place mid-show on a PPV and be contested over 3. Its a huge difference. 

• Paid Members

Suppose they could emulate the boxing system, whereby less experienced fighters would only be "2-rounders", and top 5 or top 10 title contenders would be "5-rounders"?