The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/6/2/21277331/last-fight-ufc-deal-rafael-dos-anjos-anthony-pettis-wonderboy-ponzinibbio

It's unfortunate timing for RDA that he won't be in a position to fight out his deal and test free agency, like he might have done had this been 6 months earlier. The best scenario for him will be to resign with the UFC now before he fights again, and he would probably be lucky to get a better deal than he's currently on. Testing free agency at the moment is pointless as Bellator have just lost their DAZN deal as far as I remember, the PFL are on hiatus and ONE sound like a house of cards. He probably could have cleaned up in a tournament in the PFL and I think Bellator would have made him a really competitive offer too. 

There's still fights I want to see him have in the UFC though, especially in that stacked WW division. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Love RDA. Was so happy to see his unexpected rise to the title a few years ago. Of the fights he mentioned there, Santiago Ponzinibbio is the one I’d like to see most. That’s a cracker. Wonderboy could be good too but I don’t know. I never really get up for Wonderboy’s fights anymore. He’s a quality striker but we’ve been stung a few times now in fights I was mega excited about and they turned out to be pretty shit. The Till and Rory fights immediately spring to mind. Haven’t got a lot of interest in a Pettis rematch but it’d probably be decent. Personally, I’d love to see RDA mix it up with Vicente Luque. Think that’d be a tremendous fight plus it would either prove that RDA can still hang with the young guns or it would give Luque a big name win. 

It's a shame RDA can't make 155lbs anymore. He would have been a welcome addition to Bellator's LW division. That division doesn't half need beefing up a bit. By contrast, Bellator's WW division doesn't really need him. That division is stacked enough as it is. 

In other news:

Sonnen, DC and McGregor? Sweet fuck.

GSP is one of the few sensible choices. 

• Paid Members

Donald Cerrone is not as out there as you might think. He's said outright in interviews that he believes fighters should unionise. Though how he squares that with his Texan-bred support of the Trump-led Republican party is anyone's guess.

9 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Donald Cerrone is not as out there as you might think. He's said outright in interviews that he believes fighters should unionise.

Indeed. 

He also attended the launch of Bjorn Rebney's fighter association a few years back, which aimed to unionise the sport. Although, nothing really came of that.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

there's the June 13th card, people are tearing it a new one on twitter, outside of a horrid main event though there's some stuff to like there, its more specific fighters i like watching rather than actual fights.

I dont wanna be too harsh on the UFC at the moment though, they are just trying to get as many people out as possible.

• Paid Members

Based on how Werdum performed in his last fight, that's a brilliant one to come back to for Gusty. He should be able to piece Werdum up all day with his boxing. 

• Paid Members

Something is definitely brewing here. Cejudo retired at his peak because his new contract offer was well below what he was after, Jones is not fighting for a while, Ngannou is pisses off and now this. I wonder if this is just fighters growing a set or they've got word the money may not be what it was?

Regardless, I'm delighted fighters are starting to publicly shit on UFC as they know they're worth a lot more than what they get paid. 

The only problem I see here is that the UFC brand is so strong that if these fighters do get their walking papers, who'll care? For example, if Masvidal did get let go and ended up in Bellator, he'd slip into obscurity.

The UFC has the same kind of stranglehold (pardon the pun) on their industry as WWE has. People don't watch wrestling, they watch "WWF", and they certainly don't watch MMA, they watch "UFC."

Honestly, apart from maybe Conor I don't think anyone on the current roster walks and makes a serious dent elsewhere. And even then, it would need to be Conor from a few years ago and not the parody he's become.

Also, I know everyone is getting into the whole protesting spirit these days, but this is probably the worst time to start pushing the UFC for money. The company is already down a decent chunk from lost gate receipts and the merchandising etc that goes along with that. 

I wouldn't put it past Dana saying to someone like Masvidal "You don't like the money you're on? Cool. Sit your ass at home and earn fuck all. You'll come to your senses when the funds dry up."