The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

It’s shaping up. Love that Sterling vs Sandhagen fight and I’m glad they’ve rebooked Assuncao vs Garbrandt.

Thinking about that now, how do you see the rest of the 135 mix playing out? I was hoping for Yan vs Moraes and that was scheduled before Covid hit. Fuck knows now though. Do they stick with that original Cejudo vs Aldo plan? Do Cejudo vs Yan, Aldo vs Moraes 2? Then there’s Cruz if he’s still fighting. 

• Paid Members

Looks like we’re not getting Jones vs Ngannou. Look at this series of tweets from Jones. Sounds like the UFC lowballed him and he’s walking away. For now at least.

46-DBC91-B-E6-EE-4919-832-D-4-AECAF48016

8-F3-E02-BB-B217-4259-8-CEA-814-C4-A7-D0

Those negotiations must’ve gone very badly because you’d think that even if they won’t pay more for the Ngannou fight, Jones could just go ‘OK you don’t get the superfight then. If I’m getting my standard money, bring on Jan Blachowicz’. But it sounds like he’s thinking of taking a break altogether. 

Of course we’ve only got one side of the story but it checks out with what we know about Dana and how the UFC handle these situations. Not a Jones fan but fair play to him for sticking to his guns. No doubt the blind UFC/Dana defenders will be out in force but fuck that. Why shouldn’t him and Ngannou make some more coin for a fight like that? Reminds me of when people shat on Mighty Mouse for not doing the ‘superfight’ with Dillashaw. Twats saying ‘he’s an idiot, he’s missed out on the money fight LOLOLOL’. Despite there being no evidence that he’d actually make more money. If it’s a ‘super’ fight, and it’s being billed as some massively important thing, then the fighters should see some difference in pay otherwise they might as well just face the standard next contender. I get the ‘well, what about legacy?’ talk to a point but legacy doesn’t pay bills or put your kids through college when it’s all over.

As cool as Jones vs Ngannou would be and as much as I’d like to see it, I like that he’s not just taking whatever they offer. No doubt Dana’s toys are flying out of the pram and we’ll get his pink faced outburst in the next day or so. 

• Paid Members

From the UFC POV, I'd be holding off of Jones v Ngannou until you can secure a gate. I'm sure that plays a part in them not willing to offer a rise in pay.

If I was Jones and Ngannou I'd be working hard on social media to get the fans to pester Dana into making it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

From the UFC POV, I'd be holding off of Jones v Ngannou until you can secure a gate. I'm sure that plays a part in them not willing to offer a rise in pay.

If I was Jones and Ngannou I'd be working hard on social media to get the fans to pester Dana into making it.

Yeah, I think there's something to that. They could probably charge way over the usual for tickets in a bigger arena for that kind of matchup. 

That said, it still probably wouldn't come anywhere near the PPV money. But given the current situation, I can imagine the UFC would want to squeeze every last dollar out of every match they can to make up the shortfall. 

Jon Jones earned a flat $500,000 in his last three fights, which leads me to believe his contract is set at that amount. He gets no win bonus, although I have seen it said that he gets a percentage of the gate.

To put it into perspective, Tony Ferguson got $500,000 after losing to Justin Gaethje in front of no crowd a week or so ago. Israel Adesanya made the same for his fight with Romero.

More to the point, why the fuck would Jones accept the same money to face Ngannou as he would if he fought Jan Blachowicz? Are they going to offer Ngannou his bog-standard $260,000 for the fight as well? 

Both of them should tell the UFC to fuck right off with that kind of lowball shite.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they should be getting massive sums of cash just for showing up. But when McGregor is getting $3 million just to show up and smack Cowboy around for a few seconds, surely Ngannou and Jones are worth $1 million apiece? 

I'm sure the fight has to be worth at least a third of what a McGregor fight is, right? It's probably the biggest fight the UFC could make right now, if they promoted it properly.

• Paid Members

I have to admit to some ignorance here, but is it now a standard thing that the UFC give all their champs PPV points, or is it still on a case-by-case basis?

To be honest, Jones really should be getting the larger portion of the cash there. He's an actual champion and has been consistent. Plus anyone facing Big Francis should be getting danger money.