The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Jeremy Stephens' beard really bothers me. Clearly a bit of work goes into it, yet it's infuriating.

Yeah, sometimes it looks drawn on like DJ Khaled’s. 

Edited by wandshogun09

49 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, under any other circumstances I think everyone would be all for Ferguson vs Gaethje. How could you not be? But it does just feel like another obstacle that’s potentially going to push Khabib vs Ferguson further away.

This is the full proposed card that’s not going to end up happening on May 9th, by the way...

1F046AF0-5024-4664-9F74-A4E04A29FEE1.jpeg

In terms of name value, that is a stonker of a card. 

• Paid Members

The ideal would be Gaethje loses by decision to Ferguson in a war, because I don't think he's the one to beat Nurmagomedov. Would love it if he was, but really doubt it.

Much as I like Cruz and want him to beat Legohead, I suspect, sadly, that the sport may have passed him by at this point, and that Cejudo just has too much for him. Not a done deal, though - Cruz has one of the best analytical minds in the sport, so if there's anyone who has the smarts to evolve and keep up with the newer generations, it's probably him. 

Really torn on Ngannou/Rosenstruik, because Ngannou is just awesome and a nice guy, but would be nice to see a HW keep an undefeated streak going too. 

Stephens is a cock-end, so automatically rooting for Kattar. Should be a great fight either way though.

Pettis/Cerrone has to be a pure entertainment match at this point. Neither fighter is in the mix, so here's hoping they recreate their first fight. 

De Castro/Hardy has simply the heel factor, I think - at this point, people are just hoping that someone demolishes Hardy and finally puts paid to his MMA "career".

Oleinik/Werdum I'm oddly not bothered about. Neither guy is going anywhere, even in the HW division. At this point it just feels like it's been made to give Oleinik a chance to tick off yet another HW name of the list of guys he's fought.

I really hope Waterson destroys Esparza, which is pretty much my default position for almost any fight involving Esparza. Plus I always want Waterson to win for completely obvious and unworthy reasons, as well as a couple of worthy ones. 

Hall vs. Souza is a nothing match for me in terms of what it leads to, but it should be a fun fight if we get the good versions of both guys. 

Luque/Price should be pure mentalism. Looking forward to it.

Mitchell/Rosa - don't know much about this, TBH. 

• Paid Members

Bryce Mitchell is the little hillbilly who pulled off the second ever UFC twister finish in his last fight. He’s a wally brain but he’s usually good to watch. 

I quite like Werdum vs Oleynik myself. Oleynik’s really grown on me the last few years and I love that he’s made the Ezekiel choke his finisher. Be interesting to see how he matches up with an elite grappler like Werdum though. And also interesting to see how Werdum looks coming back. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Who is the lady called Spencer fighting (presumably for a title) against Amanda Nunes?

Felicia Spencer is a Canadian judoka. Was undefeated until she lost to Cyborg, but has rebounded quite nicely, coming off a victory. Still something of an unknown quantity, as she seems to be improving, so I'm loath to call any particular result. Obviously, Nunes' current run of form as a monster makes her the favourite, and her BJJ means she won't necessarily be vulnerable to Spencer in this regard, but Spencer is coming down from FW, so I wonder if her size could be a factor in the grappling aspect.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

I think it’s happening at 145 Carbomb. I think anyway, could be wrong. Remember Nunes has that belt as well.

I lost all interest in Spencer when I heard this...

Hah, yeah - I remember that too.

If it's happening at 145, I'm minded to put a few percentage points in Spencer's favour - 145's her wheelhouse. Even though Nunes giant-slew Cyborg at that weight, it's not her normal division, and taking on a grappler at that weight could be overreach if she's not used to it - taking on a striker is risky enough, but I hope her BJJ's good enough to avoid being sat on and submitted by Spencer.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, Carbomb said:

The ideal would be Gaethje loses by decision to Ferguson in a war, because I don't think he's the one to beat Nurmagomedov. Would love it if he was, but really doubt it.

A few pundits have commented that the best way to beat Khabib is to put him on the back foot. To do that, a fighter would need to be a pressure striker that has very strong takedown defence. A bit like a prime Wanderlei Silva, but better. 

Gaethje, perhaps more than any other lightweight, has the potential to be that fighter. At the very least, he has the wrestling game to stop Khabib in his tracks, which is something that McGregor could not do consistently, and I doubt Ferguson can do either. 

This isn't to say that Gaethje is a better fighter than Ferguson or McGregor. It's more that styles make fights. Which is also why I am leaning towards Ferguson over Gaethje at present time. 

Edited by jimufctna24

10 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

A few pundits have commented that the best way to beat Khabib is to put him on the back foot. To do that, a fighter would need to be a pressure striker that has very strong takedown defence. A bit like a prime Wanderlei Silva - but better. 

Gaethje, perhaps more than any other lightweight, has the potential to be that fighter. At the very least, he has the wrestling game to stop Khabib in his tracks, which is something that McGregor could not do consistently, and I doubt Ferguson can do either. 

This isn't to say that Gaethje is a better fighter than Ferguson or McGregor. It's more that styles make fights. Which is also why I am leaning towards Ferguson over Gaethje at present time. 

In all honesty, I think that the person to beat Khabib will be Khabib.

If he starts slacking, or looking towards retirement or whatever, he'll perhaps be there for the taking. As things stand, if he's 100% on his game, I don't think there's anyone at 155lbs who can beat him short of a fluke where he gets caught or something.

The guy wins every fight in that division 9 times out of 10, if not 10 times out of 10. He's the greatest MMA fighter I've ever seen, that's for sure.

47 minutes ago, David said:

In all honesty, I think that the person to beat Khabib will be Khabib.

If he starts slacking, or looking towards retirement or whatever, he'll perhaps be there for the taking. As things stand, if he's 100% on his game, I don't think there's anyone at 155lbs who can beat him short of a fluke where he gets caught or something.

The guy wins every fight in that division 9 times out of 10, if not 10 times out of 10. He's the greatest MMA fighter I've ever seen, that's for sure.

Don't overlook AKA's training methods either. Koscheck has said that AKA gym are successful due to the quality of their sparring partners, but the actual training at the gym leaves a lot to be desired. For example, DC's arduous wrestling practices probably played a role in the demise of Cain's career. A similar fate could await Khabib. 

The greatest ever? Not yet, that is still GSP in my opinion. However, I could well change my mind if Khabib racks up a few more top-level wins. He's certainly the best fighter in the sport at the minute. 

Edited by jimufctna24

36 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

The greatest ever? Not yet, that is still GSP in my opinion.

Khabib is the best I've ever seen. GSP was great, but everything that GSP did well, Khabib seems better at, especially the wrestling. Plus, GSP got caught in the standup more if I recall correctly. Khabib just seems to be excellent at many aspects, and even his not-so-great abilities are still pretty solid.