The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

McGregor vs Gaethje anyone? 

2283A6C5-528D-4F64-A24C-2D5D370C549C.jpeg

Actually I could really get behind that, we know they will both stand, Gaethje won't utilise his wrestling and I can wait with bated breath on him landing kne of his howitzer punches.

• Paid Members

Gaethje will take McGregor's gas tank for it's MOT. He'll find out if it's acceptable or as useful as the endless string of rust buckets that I have parked in my driveway until they give up the ghost. A win for Gaethje gets him the Lightweight title fight against Nurmagomedov/Ferguson.

If McGregor wins then that's probably the fight he goes for as well, but he could just as easily worm his way into a Welterweight title fight depending on what way that shakes out. 

It's the fight to make I think, but at 155. 170 would be nonsense. McGregor will never convince me his best weight is 170. I don't even think it would be 155, if there happened to be a 150lb weight class it would probably fall in there. 

Most fighters ideal weight for cardiovascular performance would probably be the weight they walk about at whilst in a heavy training camp, but before a large calorie deficit diet kicks in. I get the feeling with McGregor though that a lot of his walk about weight is show muscle, rather than go muscle, that his in camp weight is probably kept artificially high, when he could probably do with being lighter. 

If this fight gets made, then hopefully UFC see sense, book it at Lightweight, and then at least it'll make sense when the winner ends up getting the title shot at 155lbs. 

12 hours ago, WeeAl said:

If this fight gets made, then hopefully UFC see sense, book it at Lightweight, and then at least it'll make sense when the winner ends up getting the title shot at 155lbs.

Wouldn't surprise me to see McGregor force it at welter, thus giving him an advantage of sorts. 

They've announced another UFC PPV for Australia, back at Perth on June 6th for UFC 251. They've announced a Women's Flyweight Championnship fight between Valentina Shevchenko and Joanna Calderwood, but haven't said it's the main event. Barring injury or some other unforeseen circumstance, it's likely Volkanovski vs. Holloway 2 headlines. Good one-two punch, that.

I'm annoyed that Sydney gets passed by yet again for a big show, Melbourne seems to get them all and Sydney hasn't had a card of any sort since the last visit to Perth. Australia is a massive country (geographically, not population-wise), so attending these shows is a big ask, having to factor in plane tickets and accommodation as well as the ticket price. Made the Sydney to Perth trip last time, but don't think my current finances will allow it this time.

But then again, you guys in the UK don't seem to get a whole lot of PPVs at all these days, so I should probably keep my whinging to a minimum. As far as international events go, the UFC is pretty kind to Australia as a whole. We love our fighting over here.

• Paid Members

Looking at the list of the UFC's events in Oz, Sydney's had the most events at five, whereas Melbourne's had four, Brisbane's had two, Adelaide two, Perth one, and Gold Coast one. But they do seem to be leaving a gap of a couple of years between Sydney shows in the past ten years, so maybe that's why it doesn't feel like Sydney gets all that much, especially in light of Melbourne getting two in the same year.

Yeah, we got the first 3 shows, I think, then they started expanding to Melbourne and elsewhere. I think the state of Victoria have pumped a lot of money into tourism in order to get these big events, even with WWE and Super Showdown, Michael Cole was shilling the "beautiful city" quite a bit. By contrast, the Premier in New South Wales has been criticised for turning the place into a nanny state, introducing strict lockout laws that curbed the nightlife, and nixing funding towards stadiums and other entertainment ventures.

I don't really begrudge other cities for getting the UFC show, especially Perth, they're way out on the west coast and miss out a lot on big events (concerts, sport, etc) while a lot of the love goes to Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane on the east coast. It's just that money's been tight for a while and I can't afford the shows with all the extra expense of an interstate holiday essentially. If UFC comes to Sydney, all I've gotta do is get a ticket to the show and shell out a couple of dollars for a 1 hour train ride.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's understandable - but think yourself lucky you're not one of those poor sods in Darwin who've got nothing since the UFC started promoting in Oz! They must be due a show by now.

Shit, Darwin never even occured to me! It's the one major city on the Aussie mainland I haven't been to, no real desire to either. I don't think any major entertainment event has ever been there... never seen it on the bill for any concert tours, wrestling, UFC, anything. Poor bastards.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

Shit, Darwin never even occured to me! It's the one major city on the Aussie mainland I haven't been to, no real desire to either. I don't think any major entertainment event has ever been there... never seen it on the bill for any concert tours, wrestling, UFC, anything. Poor bastards.

Given Darwin's proximity to Indonesia and East Timor, you'd think it could potentially be a way for UFC to eventually crack the Indonesian market. From what I understand, there's a lot of immigration and emigration to and from there. Given that Indonesia has a base for appreciation of competitive martial arts (silat), there might be potential, and it's a huge market. Not to mention the popularity of Indonesian martial arts films right now, with Iko Uwais leading the charge.

• Paid Members

Yep, Volkanovski vs Holloway 2 is headlining UFC 251 in Perth according to BloodyElbow. 

Got to say I’m really liking the next lot of PPVs coming up. 

UFC 248 - Mar 7 - Las Vegas:
Israel Adesanya vs Yoel Romero - Middleweight Title

Zhang Weili vs Joanna Jedrzejczyk - Strawweight Title

UFC 249 - Apr 18 - Brooklyn:
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson - Lightweight Title 

Jessica Andrade vs Rose Namajunas 2

Jeremy Stephens vs Calvin Kattar 

UFC 250 - May 9 - São Paulo:
Henry Cejudo vs Jose Aldo - Bantamweight Title

Shogun Rua vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira 3

Fabricio Werdum vs Alexey Oleynik

UFC 251 - Jun 6 - Perth: