The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

No dates set in stone but Dana was in a confirming fights mood here...

I’m down for all of them. Would probably rather see Volkanovski defend against someone else, given how clearly he beat Holloway, but Zombie is injured and I can’t think what else makes a ton of sense right now. Volk vs Max 2 should be good anyway. Very much looking forward to Zabit vs Ortega especially from that lot. Cejudo vs Aldo could be brilliant as well. Especially if Aldo batters him. 

• Paid Members

A general thought that came into my head based on listening to podcasts this week. There's been a lot of talk lately about what's next for Jones (not a spoiler, as I haven't seen last night's fight yet), will he fight Adesanya next, move up to HW or fight another contender. Whilst a lot of this involves looking past Dominick Reyes a bit, I think a fair amount of these talking heads have been giving Reyes much more of a shot than I give him. 

My point is though, that this inevitably brings up discussion of what's next on the horizon for other champions like Adesanya and Khabib. From everything I've heard lately, everyone is completely looking past their next fights, and onto Jones for Adesanya or McGregor for Khabib. It fucking baffles my mind. These two men are fighting Yoel bloody Romero and Tony fucking Ferguson. Pretty much two oppoents who are as far away from a gimme as can be. 

I'm picking Romero and Ferguson both to win these fights. I understand I'm picking the underdog's, but Jesus Christ, this week it feels by saying that out loud that I'm telling somebody the sky is raining unicorns. 

The first four times Khabib Vs Ferguson was booked, I don't remember the discussion being as heavily weighted in Khabib's favour as it is now. Both men had some of their best performances since the fourth failed attempt to get this one in the cage. I hope mad Tony throws a spanner in the works and lifts the title in this one. 

As for Romero/Adesanya, a lot of that will have to do with Adesanya being in blistering form and undefeated, and Yoel coming off two losses. It's still Yoel Romero. He moves like a cat, hits like a tank and I don't think even he knows what he's about to do next half the time. Despite his two losses to Bobby Knuckles, Romero could, along with Whittaker, be the best fighter that Adesanya is ever likely to face unless he fights Jon Jones somewhere in his career. It's mental Yoel is being overlooked. Adesanya is favourite, sure. He's likely to win it. But how does he respond when he gets hit in the dome with a flying knee from the UKFF's favourite? My guess is it's over if that happens, and there needs to be a bit more parity in the discussion of potential outcomes of these two fights in the coming weeks. 

That was a long, rambling, rant. Apologies, but it just spilled out. 

• Paid Members

These lot are all gone from the UFC. Either released or just not renewed. Source is MMA Junkie.

Junior Albini

Nathan Coy 

Brandon Davis 

Kalindra Faria 

Grigorii Popov

Ben Saunders 

Jin Soo Son

Daniel Spitz

No surprises there. Bit sad how Saunders’ run panned out. Always liked him and I thought he had some real potential coming off TUF all those years ago. But he’s had a rough career since then and suffered a bunch of bad knockouts in recent years. I’m hoping he calls it a day but I can see him popping up in Bare Knuckle or something now. 

• Paid Members

Yeah the UFC could be doing Saunders a favour there by giving him a nudge towards thinking about hanging them up. It's up to him whether he takes it or not, and his personal circumstances will dictate that. Assessed only on damage though, his best days are long, long behind him. Hopefully he's in a position to parlay this into a coaching role of some sort so that he doesn't have to continue to fight. 

Junior Albini though? There'll not be a tear shed on any continent over that fella getting the heave ho. Useless he was. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Junior Albini though? There'll not be a tear shed on any continent over that fella getting the heave ho. Useless he was. 

What's weird is that he won Performance Of The Night on his debut, via KO in the first round. Anyone'd be forgiven for thinking he was on the road to becoming a contender. I certainly don't think anyone would've predicted him going on to lose four on the trot while being sponsored by Pampers.

• Paid Members

is Saunders the only person who re-entered the UFC coming off a loss? thats a trivia question for you.

But yeah, Saunders needed the ol' Chuck Liddel-Dana talk awhile back and they should have told him to step aways, lost 6 of his last 7 and stopped badly in all of them, the guys shot.

• Paid Members

That's two fantastic fights there. The match makers of Bellator and UFC are hard at it this week. Hopefully Gillespie can get the train back on track here. I can't see how Yan Vs Sterling can fail to be a great fight. Especially if they can manage to make it a five rounder. 

Makhachev could well be the 2nd best lightweight on the planet. At the least, he's in the top 5. However, he will never get the acclaim he deserves because he's Khabib's stablemate and thus unlikely to fight for the belt in the near future. Makhachev is also not big enough of a name to be considered for the other money fights in the lightweight division. 

I kinda hope he ends up in Bellator, not only would he somewhat escape Khabib's shadow there, but he'd also likely become champion.