The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, David said:

I'll actually be rooting for T-Ferg in his bout with Khabib. Imagine Conor going in there with crazy Tony? We wouldn't just see him get tapped, he'd likely get seriously fucked up.

Yep. You don’t come out of a fight with Fergie unscathed.

D433-D3-F5-D7-C6-410-C-BB92-6-A8861-A6-A

1 minute ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

TBH outside some morons on Sherdog and Twitter the only person saying Cerrone is a quitter is Stephen A Smith. One of those ESPN "Hot Take" fuckwits. He got ripped apart for saying it too.

I’ve seen the Stephen A/Rogan waffle but I’ve actually had people saying it ‘in real life’ as well. I forgot how annoying things could be with McGregor coming off a win. He’s unbeatable now. All his problems are behind him. And this 40 second clobbering of Cerrone somehow proves that he’s back to his ‘real self’, not the imposter who Khabib was merely lucky to catch off form. It’s all so tiresome. 

Between Boxing, Kickboxing and MMA I’ve watched combat sports for a good 25 years or so now and I’ve never seen anything quite like the McGregor fanboys’ unconditional love for their man. Even this ‘quitter’ thing is rich. Cerrone, who’s always been a slow starter, gets his face smashed in and gets overwhelmed early by McGregor and he’s a big fanny. Yet McGregor practically asks Khabib for mercy mid-fight but that’s just my ears playing tricks. That’s before you even get to them overlooking all his outside the cage shit. It’s mad. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Im surprised that the MMA media and fanbase got upset at Smith for his comments. The guys a professional troll, its what he does and he's very successful because of it. The MMA world took the bait. 

For once I agree with you, Ebb.

This is what Stephen A. Smith does. He's ragged on athletes with far bigger profiles than Cerrone. NFL, NBA, MLB, he's hammered them all. I don't quite know why Rogan thinks MMA fighters should be treated differently by the media? He was saying shit like "Cerrone's grandmother was there, you have to respect him."

Fuck that, Joe. The UFC want mainstream sports coverage? This is it, man. Cerrone failed big-time, and he'll have to take the pelters. Roll with the punches. Or shoulders, even.

• Paid Members

True. He gets paid to be an absolute overbearing gobshite. I didn’t have an issue with Stephen saying that stuff. I’m used to him. He’s nowhere near as bad as that Skip Bayless twat. But the yanks seem to love all that shite. People just screaming at each other about a sport. 

It’s fans saying that stuff that grates for me. It only really seems to be when McGregor fights as well. Like his fans just feel the need to shit on his opponents, even in cases like this where McGregor was pally with Cerrone, his bollock licking fans just go over the top with it. Doesn’t shock me, just irritating. 

• Paid Members

I think it’s an age thing. Seems to be mostly the younger guys at work, early 20s or so, who are up McGregor’s arse. Even when he smacked that old fella, they were giving it the ‘yeah, but what did the old bloke say to him?’ In fairness, they mightn’t know about the rape allegations. 

I think one of the main issues is Smith said it on the UFC's own post fight show. Rogan made the point that if your trashing UFC fighters then going backstage at their events, then you might end up doing that to the wrong person, like a Diaz brother. Tthen one bad day you could get in a lift with one of those nutjobs and they will kick the shit out you.

The Tom Brady's and Lebron James's don't care what these rent-a-gobs say. The Jorge Masvidal's of this world might.

Can't blame him for putting his name out there, can you? Nothing will come of it of course, but it gets news articles and clicks on his name that don't involve him losing. He'll chat this shit up for a bit before accepting a match against another welter.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, David said:

Can't blame him for putting his name out there, can you? Nothing will come of it of course, but it gets news articles and clicks on his name that don't involve him losing. He'll chat this shit up for a bit before accepting a match against another welter.

He might even go up in people's estimation just a bit if he goes on a little run of beating up Youtubers, especially Logan Paul.

• Paid Members

Reading stuff on Twitter that Zabit Magomedsharipov vs Brian Ortega is in the works for the Khabib vs Ferguson card in April. Hopefully this one actually materialises. I’m still recovering from the talk of Zabit vs Zombie being shot down.