The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

Talks are in the early stages according to Helwani. Tons of credit to Jones if the fight happens. Miocic is probably the riskiest fight for him out there. And it's not like he doesn't have other options. 

Edit: Looks like it was a cocktease. Jones vs Santos has been verbally agreed for July 3rd. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I went to bed and everything was fairly quiet other than this Jon Jones lead on about Stipe, and I wake up this morning and it's all been happening over there at Sean Shelby's house. They've got the big July PPV sorted now between the Light Heavyweight Title fight and the Women's BW Title, which also pretty much confirms that McGregor is going to be sitting out until Khabib in November, and that the Holm/Ladd fight that was to happen recently got cancelled because UFC were working on putting this one together with Nunes. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/27/18284608/jon-jones-vs-thiago-santos-slated-for-ufc-239

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/27/18284659/amanda-nunes-vs-holly-holm-targeted-for-ufc-239

On top of that, the June Chicago show has gotten it's headline fight, with Cejudo stepping up to take on Moraes for TJ Dillashaw's old belt. That's a great fight that and it should be very close. Two men at the peak of their powers. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/27/18284561/henry-cejudo-vs-marlon-moraes-set-for-vacant-bantamweight-title-fight-at-ufc-238

16 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

“Masvidal’s ranked No. 5 right now, Edwards is No. 10. So we are working on something for Masvidal and Edwards, but not each other,” White said. “We’re actually talking about Ben Askren vs. Masvidal right now.”

What does Dana have against Masvidal? Is this payback for him smashing up his Bisping 2.0? 

Masvidal is a good fighter, but chances are he's gonna get wrestled and beaten up by Askren en route to a lopsided decision loss. I bet he's fucking ecstatic with that call.

• Paid Members

More fight announcements. Volkan Oezdemir vs Ilir Latifi and Jimi Manuwa vs Aleksandar Rakic have been added to the Sweden show in June. Really like both fights. Interested to see Rakic getting that step up against a decent name, should be good. 

Sauce is BloodyElbow. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah I can’t even think who he can fight now. Unless they’re actually giving him that rematch with DC that he’s been after. But if Brock comes in and they do DC vs Brock, Stipe might be out all year. 

I get waiting for the big fight but he’s going to become a forgotten man if he doesn’t do something soon. And at the end of the day, as great as his title reign was, he got knocked out in a round in his last fight. Just sitting out forever because you think you’re entitled to an immediate rematch can backfire. I’ll say this though, he deserves it a lot more than Rockhold did when he sat out crying for a rematch after Bisping took his soul. Stipe defended that belt and dominated. Rockhold lost it in his first defence. 

But yeah, can’t think what they do with Stipe now. All the guys he’s been linked to possibly fighting like Jones or JDS are booked now. Either he’s getting DC or he’ll have to come back and take on a Curtis Blaydes or someone. 

They could’ve done Stipe vs Cain if Cain wasn’t off playing at being a 20st luchadore. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

239 in July looks ridiculous already. 

Jon Jones vs Thiago Santos 

Amanda Nunes vs Holly Holm 

Junior Dos Santos vs Francis Ngannou 

Jan Blachowicz vs Luke Rockhold 

Ben Askren vs Jorge Masvidal 

Some card, that. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Miocic/Blaydes could be the one, doesn't really leap off the page but its the only fight that makes sense with everyone booked.

Definitely into that. I mean it does no business, but as far as talent v talent, it's excellent. I'd be avoiding that one if I was Stipe because Blaydes is still a bit of a no name.

Stipe definitely needs to get back to fighting. Sulking never gets you too far with Dana, and DC has made it very clear he's not arsed about fighting Stipe because it's a fight for little in the way of potential financial gain (plus, you know, DC battered Stipe in the first). DC said a few times that Stipe needs to get fighting and "become undeniable". Jones has skipped the line waiting to fight DC because Jones is very active and looking very good.

I'd love to see Stipe v Jones later this year. Either winner gets the vacant HW title or fights DC in his last fight, depending if Uncle Dana can get DC on-board with his "he's got 2/3 more fights in him" bollocks.